Ai synch

Help Support CattleToday:

Sd1030

Reaction score
Got a question about what synch protocol most of yall like using. I got introduced to aiing cattle last winter and helped a some friends and i think we used the 7 day co- synch protocol and bred once we seen cows in standing heat. I was at a event yesterday and a ai tech was giving a presentation and he mentioned doing the same protocol but breeding timed vs the standing heat deal. He said they recommended somewhere in the 60-66 hr time frame. He said that they have been able to consistently get 55-60% of the cows pregnant. This would def work better for my schedule due to my job but not sure if the conception rate would be as good. What has yalls experiences been?

We were talking about just such a thing today, while breeding a couple (we AI the Fall herd strictly on observed heats, since they're right here at the house for the next 5 months). Consistently get 90+% conception rates to AI on that group unless there's a problem with semen quality on a particular sire.
Farm manager/inseminator/wife commented on those folks thinking that 60% is good... she'd never settle for that.

Even the Spring herd, which we do a 5 or 7-day CIDR synch on... we breed on observed heats and typically get 80+%. If we don't see the cow stand, or we're not convinced she was 'in', based on loss of paint... we're not putting semen in her.
The one time we did timed-AI... we got about a 30% conception rate. Not going there again.
Last couple of years, I've had way too many synched cows coming into heat 5-6 days after pulling CIDRs and giving prostaglandin injection.

Lucky thats interesting and you make some good points. I think on the herd we did last year we got around 70% bred ai, which it was my first time helping and some other factors were in play so ill take that as an alright first time event. (Not bragging by no means i agree should be shooting for the 90 mark) My issue is im a ff and every third day i have to work and doing the 7 day co synch and breeding on standing heat is a problem for me in some regard because i cant be there on one of the days in that 72 hr period were they may come in heat. I was intrigued by what was said yesterday so i figured id see what others were doing and the results. Thanks for your input guess i may need to just keep breeding on standing heat.

Also lucky i misread the last part of you post, thats interesting that youve had cows coming in heat 5-6 days post cidrs and shot. I was under the impression most came in within a 72 hr post doing that, shows ive still got alot to learn.

My Question would be. If you had 100 cows and breed all on natural heat and get 90% why would you not have 90 bred in say 25 days? That last 10% seems like there taking a long time to breed if you have to stretch them out over 5 months! My point would be most folks can't stretch it out that long and almost impossible if your not doing your own insemenating.
I use 7 day co-sync on mine get along great with it, dont have time to stretch it out, I do a split time AI breed in two different groups depending when they come in, they all get a straw if there showing heat or not. The way I figure it if I only get 1 out of 10 that didn't show heat it's worth it, to much invested to just turn them out and not try.
Probably get around 70% 1st service. Sometimes higher sometimes lower, all this is still mother nature. Then 2nd service really bumbs it up. And that's a plus with syncing them you have an idea when there coming back in, I repatch at 17 days after AI. My heifers get 3 rounds AI then if there open they go on the trailer. By doing this I can use a clean up bull with some grow and not a heifer bull.
There will be a percentage that doesn't respond and that will be the ones coming in 5 or 6 days later, but if its a commercial deal put the bull in the day after AI and he will take care of those giving you an even bigger % on the front end of calving season.

Bse you make some good points especially considering im a commerical guy right now. I can see and understand both sides of the discussion when it comes to the % that get bred ai. I do like the idea of doing timed and getting what i can get and just letting bull clean up the rest. But also understand after all that work and money in them wanting to get as many bred ai as possible.

If you will patch them and can do a split time AI your percentage should be pretty good and you can do it in 1 day you will just breed one group in the AM everything else Pm turn the bull in the next morning. That bigger group of calves on the front end is what it's about.

I have done the timed ai thing and averaged about 70% single service.....I thought it was a good trade off for my time...I got more cows bred AI totally because I bred some cows I was unable to watch every six hours.

I like the michigan G6G also known as syncpro, protocol but it is too many trips thru the chute for most folks...it does a sort of presynchrony and worked well for me.

I got onto it because when I resynced cows that did not show heat and bred them on time I again got about 70%....I think sometimes it jump starts the cow to be cycling and she responds better the second time.

Latest posts