AI Sires for Spring 2018 Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Backbone Ranch

Reaction score
Our first calf heifers started calving a little over a week ago. The first four calves have ranged from 58 to 70 lbs, and we have four more left to go. Seeing these calves hit the ground has me excited for our spring 2018 calving season; we have a handful of cows in calf to some heritage Murray Grey sires. I thought that I would share pictures of some of the bulls that we are expecting calves from next spring.
JOPA Elation Power- This bull was the 1989 Grand Champion bull at the National Murray Grey Show. Much of our herd goes back to him. We had a heifer sired by him this year that was born 2 weeks early at 62 lbs. Right now, she is one of our growthiest heifers. We currently have two cows bred to him.
Jopa_Elation_Power1.jpg

Spectrum Kenton- This bull came from a great breeding program out of Ohio. He was born in 1992. He is the grandsire of our very best cow. We are hoping to instill some of that quality into our herd by breeding to him. We have not yet had any calves out of this bull, but we have one cow bred to him currently.
Spectrum_Kenton.jpg

Ballee Thumbs Up- This is another bull that we have not bred to before. He was born in 1998 and is originally from New Zealand. I know of at least four breeders here in the US that have used him with much success. They have retained many of his sons and daughters for their own herds.
Ballee_Thumbs_Up.jpg

Monterey Marshall- This bull was born in Australia in 1989. We have only had one calf from him to date, but that particular bull calf was the best bull in our 2015 calf crop. We are wanting to add some darker pigment back into our herd, and we are hoping to accomplish that with this bull. He is bred to one of our better cows who is actually a full sibling to our current herdsire, BB Uncle Tony. I am really excited to see this calf.
Monterey_Marshall.jpg

MCC Trigger's Champion- This last bull combines two very high powered Murray Grey sires in one pedigree, Maneroo Gladiator and Parknook Pelion. The photo of this bull was taken during the winter, so his scrotal circumference doesn't look very large. The first calf we had out of this bull was an 80 lb heifer born last year. She is currently one of our nicest yearling heifers.
MCC_Trigger_s_Champion_6_.jpg

Our very first AI calves hit the ground in 2015, so we are still very much in the "experimental phase", trying to figure out which bulls in our tank work best with our cows. Most of the bulls that we are using have been deceased for 15-30+ years, so we have very little information on them other than a few pictures and some old literature. As a whole, we have been very pleased with our AI calves from these heritage sires.

What's the frame size of jopa elation power? Can you tell me more about his daughter who is your " growthiest cow" and what do you mean by "growthy"? Thanks!

JOPA Elation Power is a frame score 5 and weighed 2,320 lbs at maturity. The majority of our herd can be traced back to him; in fact, our herdsire BB Uncle Tony is his grandson. We have one daughter from him that will be bred in the next few months for her first calf. When I said that she was growthy, I meant that she put on frame and weight faster than our other calves at the same age. They have since caught up to her, but she is turning into a really nice female. We were looking at her in the pasture today and commented on how mature she looked for her age. This was our JOPA Elation Power daughter at 2 days of age, and she is pictured again at 5 months. She was born two weeks early at 62 lbs.
2630d531-a82c-4674-b529-4d54c37e1458-original.jpg

13c1b1e9-6e57-480e-93cb-d50e1cfcb79d-original.jpg

And here is Elation Power as a 4 year old.
47325f0e-0323-4d87-aa9b-076b4b94e0bf-original.jpg

Latest posts