AI School

Help Support CattleToday:

Harv4438

Reaction score
Looking for advice on whether it makes sense for me to go to AI school. I have been planning on taking an AI course by next year to do the task on my cattle. We just got done with timed AI breeding 2 weeks ago. Had an ABS tech do the inseminating and a comment he made has me wondering if its a good idea for me to go through with it. This was the 1st I've used AI and it went really well. The cows went through the chute 3 times with very little trouble and responded well with the 7 day co-sycnch protocol.

The comment made by the tech was that you have to inseminate a lot of cows before you get good at it, so I'm thinking does it really make sense for me to do this myself? Can I get good at it if I only do this once a year? And add in the fact that if I did the inseminating I'd still need someone to move the cattle into the chute which was my job this past season.

The question is: can I get trained, do the job and get a good conception rate the 1st year or will I end up with a bunch more open cows?

Some people have a knack for it, others never catch on. The only way to find out is to do it. It was a long time ago, but when I went to scool it was 12 hour days for 6 days. 13 in the class, even after all that time about 2/3 of which was actaully workign with cows 2 people could never find the cervix. Others caught on by the second day.

You can wind up with decent conception rates your first time, but I wouldn't try synchronizing 25 cows to breed . I would find a good school close to you and start there. Between the time you take the class and when you expect to breed cows, practice as much as you can. After your cows calve, I would palpate them and practice finding the cervix. Avoid heifers your first time out. Cervix is small and they can be difficult.

Regardless, it is worth taking a class. Even if you discover that you can't do it, you learn a lot a good information like proper semen handling and bull selection. A.I. is something that you get better at by doing it more often, but even someone with a small herd can do it effectively.

Do the class, get the tech in to do them then put patches on them and heat detect in 21 days and you breed any that come back on heat and you build your confidence from there.
Ken

Harv4438":2kc6qiqc said:
Ok I'll do it! This is what I needed to hear. Thanks very much to all!
Eevn if you don;t take it up, the school if worth a hoot will make you a better more observant herdsman.

Alright thanks again everyone! I just signed up for the Dec. class at Agtech in KS. ABS has some schools that are held closer to home but not till late winter and early spring. I figure I'll keep any open cows through winter & practice with them. Plus Dec. is a little less busy for me and will be a great couple of days away from the daily grind!

Latest posts