AI SCHOOL

Help Support CattleToday:

preston39":2eqrqbwu said:
We have a young vet student who has an excellent record also..when we can get her. She attributes a higher % success rate to two things;

1) Insert the tube sligtly(1/2" or less) thru the cervix.
"That gives the lttle fellows an opportunity to find their way into both horns....since the egg could be in either..if you are further in past the cervix the injection could be sent down the wrong horn from where the egg is located."

My vet can tell which horn the egg is in (based on -I think- the CL) ...he puts that semen right where it needs to be. Can't your vet student tell that?

milkmaid":251pk0zt said:
preston39":251pk0zt said:
We have a young vet student who has an excellent record also..when we can get her. She attributes a higher % success rate to two things;

1) Insert the tube sligtly(1/2" or less) thru the cervix.
"That gives the lttle fellows an opportunity to find their way into both horns....since the egg could be in either..if you are further in past the cervix the injection could be sent down the wrong horn from where the egg is located."

My vet can tell which horn the egg is in (based on -I think- the CL) ...he puts that semen right where it needs to be. Can't your vet student tell that?
=========
milkmaid,
She has never mentioned CL. Clarify if you will? She may have referred to it differently..in some way.(remember she is a student at present). We must also remember the bull doesn't know the egg location...either. :roll: LOL
Thanks,

The course I took included palpation with A-I....only makes sense, if your lookin to breed a cow you need to be able to tell if she's already bred or not.

jersey lilly":q68fmivb said:
The course I took included palpation with A-I....only makes sense, if your lookin to breed a cow you need to be able to tell if she's already bred or not.

What are the odds of a cow that is in or has just went out of standing heat being already with calf?

dun

4-JGFarms":3ob5y5fm said:
I've got a question, most AI courses or schooling includes palpation also?

It was $750 for ai and palpation in Stillwater. You can take the single courses for $400 each. Both are very useful even if you do not plan on doing your own ai. Glen Selk from OSU came in and talked one day for several hours about body condition scoring and how it effects re-breeding if the cows are not in good enough condition. Many things useful I plan on going back. If any of you in the area you might want to check this place out.
Called Reproduction Enterprises. > http://agonline.com/rei/home.asp
they are not part of the college by the way
bif

Natural heat cycle yes, aint hard to tell, but say your lookin to give a shot to make em come in, (not everyone keeps bulls off cows) youd need to know if that cow was bred already or not before you gave the shot. Or say you bought some heifers, you can't always go by what the seller said, or they may have come thru a sale.......being able to palpate, in my opinion, is a nessecity that goes hand in hand with A-I. Then once you do get em A-I'd, why would you want to have to pay someone to come out to palpate. There's too many classes out there to NOT take one that teaches both.