AI prices

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have some AI questions, I see where the prices are listed say $20 semen, $20 Certificate. does that mean if you didnt want to register them, you wouldnt need to buy the certificate? how much does it cost to have a technition come out and do it. Ive tried to look it up on the web but, havent found any prices.

Anonymous":1zwm8ow2 said:
I have some AI questions, I see where the prices are listed say $20 semen, $20 Certificate. does that mean if you didnt want to register them, you wouldnt need to buy the certificate? how much does it cost to have a technition come out and do it. Ive tried to look it up on the web but, havent found any prices.

you're correct. if you don't want to register the calf, you won't need to buy a certificate.

technician fee will vary depending on how many head you want to have a.i.'d at one time, how far the technician will have to travel. i do our a.i.'ing & don't really have time to do a.i. work for anyone else so i really have no good guess of the current rates. i think the vet i used to work for charged $25 but that was for cows brought to the clinic.

The semen price is your cost per straw of semen
The certificate price is the cost of a certificate to allow you to register the calf showing that the bull that produced the semen is the sire of said calf.

Technician cost can vary. Depending on distance traveled, how many cows or heifers to be bred, how often you use him/her, are you buying the semen from the tech so he/she will make money on semen sold.
Many variables in this answer.
I have heard of maybe $10.00 per head for several, up to $60.00 per head on a one tinme one head deal. Some will charge as much as $.45
per mile, each way.

The Tech down the road from me charges $20.00/straw for semen and $25.00 for the insemination, that's Canadian dollars, Vancouver island B.C. He is my neighbour though.

This one varies significantly based upon the services performed. If you are going to do heat detection and take the cow to the vet at the proper time, there is minimal cost. If you want someone to do heat detection for you, costs go way up because you are paying for days of boarding also. If you want to synchronize and leave for someone else to do, there is usually some boarding for a day or so during the process. Semen varies significantly also depending upon the sire. Some for as little as $5 a straw and I've seen some recently for as much as $200 per straw. So your costs could be anywhere from $30 or so to as much as $300 including heat detection and boarding. Check with your vet and ask around about some local folks that will do AI work. Most people are part-time farmers and may do their own AI but usually don't have time to do it for someone else.

My tech charges for the semen, then you get a 10% discount for ordering early. .50 per mile to get here, $5 to sleeve them. That was last year for 189 head of heifers, and in SD.

Latest posts