AI Dress Code................gloves?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bum Steer

Reaction score
I've been breeding a few cows every year for the past 18 years +/-. Lately what used to be pretty easy seems to be taking a little bit more time. Things like finding and identifying "parts". I find them, just seems like I have to grope a little more. Am I losing my touch? Using the red plastic ABS sleeves for a while now. Anyone using a combination of nitrile gloves with sleeve to improve sensitivity? I've even considered going commando (no sleeve, bare arm!!) to see if it's me or these gloves. Thoughts?

It's you. Time for a refresher course? A lifetime of a few cows a year isn't enough practice. There was an article from an a.i. school stating 1/3 of inseminations by herd owners resulted in poor or improper semen placement and recommended retraining/refresher courses.

I agree that you probably need to breed more to really get the feel of it(and keep it), but if you really want feel rip the fingers off of your glove and put a thin latex exam glove on, not the nitrile ones but the real latex. It feels as good if not better than nothing.
And :welcome:.

don't know about nitrile, but I mostly use the AI glove over latex milking gloves... can certainly feel the difference if I happen to AI a cow when not wearing the latex glove, the floppy plastic AI one is just an annoying distraction. With the latex at least you know where your fingers are...

If it's only a "few" cows it could just be a run of abnormal or unusually stressed cows. Three in a row might make anyone think they were losing the knack.

I don't really agree on another course helping after 18 yrs of it (I mean sure a course is a course, and after 18 yrs of driving I'm sure it would refresh some rules of the road, but not so much the feel for driving).

All animals are different some are just small and hard to find. You don't state your age, perhaps it could be part of it? Could even be mental in a way, if you get nervous about finding the right spot, or frustrated and in a rush. But the parts are there, and your hands still work, so just go about it methodically and picture it in your head.. If you need a simple refresher this is one of the best videos I've seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ygWu0rUs8I

Latest posts