Ai class on the farm

Help Support CattleToday:

Sd1030

Reaction score
Well i was able to go through a down and dirty ai class today on the farm, it was a neat/educational experience. Ive been helping a elderly couple some and theyve expressed interest in me helping ai. They talked with one of there ai supplier rep and he agreed to come out and do a day class on the farm. He basically gave us the basics and let us get our hands in some cows. Once he had us understanding and comfortable with the process he told us to do it and hed check behind us. I was able to work on 5 cows and was able to sucessfully "breed" all five. ( didnt actually deposit semen). I dont claim to be a expert at all but im looking foward to taking what i learned and applying it in the future. Hopefully ill have 4 to breed next week, so we ll see how it goes.

Satisfying, isn;t it? There are some folks that even with a lot of experience (practice/schooling) can never get it. Others take to it as easily as learning to pee.

Dun your are right it was very satisfying to be able to pick it up and do it. I just hope i can continue to improve on the newly learned skill.

I just completed an ABS AI course, but we used dairy cattle that were headed to slaughter as soon as we finished. I'm 6'-00" and I still had to stand on my tiptoes on several of them. Some were easy, and some very difficult. They say beef cattle are easier, and I hope they're right!

Congrats

Thats what the couple that i help who set this up told me. They both took the class some years ago and they used dairy cattle for the hands on. She said she had to stand on a stool, she said they are much harder than beef cattle. Thanks, and congrats to you as well.

Heifers are about the easiest thing that there is. Pretty rare that their cervix is much to get through. Have one cow on the place I haven't been able to get to her cervix since she was a replacement, just can't get he pipette there and have no idea why.

Jake":2x92q9d2 said:
Heifers are about the easiest thing that there is. Pretty rare that their cervix is much to get through. Have one cow on the place I haven't been able to get to her cervix since she was a replacement, just can't get he pipette there and have no idea why.
Kind of funny, most people claim heifers are harder then cows. I'm like you, I find heifers to be easier.

dun":3lqt4ucx said:
Jake":3lqt4ucx said:
Kind of funny, most people claim heifers are harder then cows. I'm like you, I find heifers to be easier.

I think most people just struggle to find the cervix on a heifer, because the actual getting through the cervix in incredibly easier than the old cows that have a cervix the size of a baseball that are all sorts of scarred up.

Gators Rule":1llfnanz said:
I just completed an ABS AI course, but we used dairy cattle that were headed to slaughter as soon as we finished. I'm 6'-00" and I still had to stand on my tiptoes on several of them. Some were easy, and some very difficult. They say beef cattle are easier, and I hope they're right!

Congrats

Jonsey was a hoot wasn't he.

Latest posts