AI bulls that are worth trying

Help Support CattleToday:

Kscattle

Reaction score
Sorry I don't have any pics of my cattle but i used ABS new standard and got one heck of a heifer calf this year. I didn't really see any results until late this summer and she really took off growing! She is far bigger than the rest. I bred more new standard this spring and some " total". Can't wait to see how they turn out. Just wondering what you guys are breeding to get replacement hfrs

Used Victor 719 on blacks this year, and expect to repeat next year.
Looking at GV or Pharo BA on Herefords and wf next year.
Calf crop is not uniform yet but I think the retained heifers are really nice. :cowboy:
I think an issue is whether a really high growth / big eating heifer is your best replacement?

Kscattle":3h2rl8xf said:
Sorry I don't have any pics of my cattle but i used ABS new standard and got one heck of a heifer calf this year. I didn't really see any results until late this summer and she really took off growing! She is far bigger than the rest. I bred more new standard this spring and some " total". Can't wait to see how they turn out. Just wondering what you guys are breeding to get replacement hfrs

LCC New Standerd? Love the heifers. I still really like Rito 6I6 ...bull calves are very well muscled, gentle grow well. Too bad Corona was defective, I really like the herd bull and heifers out of him. Thanks heavens mine tested negative. Not decided if I like the Trust bull yet. I have to say the hereford on one of my angus cross girls is actually going to be the first time a cross may just wax the reg angus. This will be one to watch.
Valerie

If i were going back to ai, and i dont think i will. but i could change my mind at anytime. my big problem is just getting time for everything, with field work being so busy in may june and july, i really like my bc bred calves for looks. and they grow well. i think my best bull calf this year is out of a retail product/shurtop 2500 cow, and an 878 bull. i guess i did not answer your question except, i like tried and proven ai bulls, for the time and money i invest. i guess i need to look more at young bulls. but too many times in the past i have been disapointed with the results.

We worked 85 head today and by far and away the best looking calves were my Hoover Dam heifers from our donor cow. The eggs were put into heifers so we lost some growth there, but they looked great. The docility is very real with him as well, I really squeezed the tattoo gun hard and they just stood there. Ordered some more semen on him this evening.

Sizmic

Connection(hoover dams grand-daddy) has been a favorite of mine for years although I only have one registered calf out of him. I've sold nearly five hundred units of him and have yet to have a complaint on any of the calves and my personal calves out of him on grade cows are some of my favorites.
Mainline is also a favorite of mine but I haven't seen any daughters past second calf in person. I have a few that look good but I want to see what they'll do before I judge them. Trust is under my microscope and waiting for PROOF. Destination928 is my next sire of choice.
I bred a few to Mandate but they are all for sale as I don't want the stuff in my personal herd to have a negative EN value.
Non-angus, LT Rio Bravo(charolais) has been one of the best bulls I've ever invested in. BIG, SOGGY, QUIET cattle that come easy and GROW. I wish he was still alive. He is the bull that got me to invest in white cows.

I like my Connections as well!! Used him a lot and have had zero complaints from myself. Have a few daughters in production, one of them absolutely refuses to move out of the way, except for the dog. That is not saying she is mean just way to calm. I've become a fan of high docility bulls as they are simply less stressful!! My father is almost 80 and he's about all the help I can round up when I need too, can't imagine doing this without him.

Sizmic

Kscattle":2uljmcom said:

The Angus bull I posted a while back was a New Standard son. He was a real heifer maker. His sons started a little slow but eventually grew pretty well. but for replacements I would go New Standard all day.

I have used alot of the bulls previously mentioned..

Connection: Disposition is definitely for real, mine is always hanging around for a back scratch. Make super cows, had 2 different Connection sons as bulls including one that is still there, so I dont use Connection himself anymore, but I would in a minute if not for that.

Corona: Agree with Vclavin, my biggest loss on AM was Corona. I know the pedigree doesnt say it but great feet, udders, and disposition on all of my Corona daughters. Still hoping to find a son with a tick more growth, keeping all the good things Corona has.

Trust: used him alittle last year, At weaning had one great one, one average one (she was sick for awhile), and one bad one. They are almost a year and now have 1 great one and 2 good ones. Glad I used him again last year. Depending on what I get this fall from him, might use him again.

Forward: He will add some muscle and volume. Used him the last 2 years as well, looking "Forward" to one of his out of my best Connection daughter..

Directive: A half brother to Connection with alittle more body length and probably alittle prettier udders, a touch more growth, might go back to him this fall.
CC&7 : Disposition is as good as his dad (connection) or maybe better. Used him to try and get a couple of bulls to sell. Probably wont use him again, but just cause of semen price, but if anyone wants to sell me any semen at what I bought it at last year I will... :D

I always wanted to try total - I've liked what I've seen - but his calving ease numbers have always spooked me. Any experience there?

angus9259":216sxon1 said:
I always wanted to try total - I've liked what I've seen - but his calving ease numbers have always spooked me. Any experience there?
I only used him this year on older, bigger cows because of the bw. I have seen some daughters of his and they are real nice as well. I agree with above posts on Hoover dam, connection, and cc&7. I am looking at an In Focus bull for next year or a cc&7 son for a herd bull.

Here is a bull that leaves pretty good daughters. Saskvalley Bonanza.
Bonanza036-Copy.jpg

Kscattle":3370bms8 said:
angus9259":3370bms8 said:
I only used him this year on older, bigger cows because of the bw. I have seen some daughters of his and they are real nice as well. I agree with above posts on Hoover dam, connection, and cc&7. I am looking at an In Focus bull for next year or a cc&7 son for a herd bull.

One of our herd bulls is out of In Focus. Awesome disposition on him and calves. Sons sell well , wish I had more daughters. Bred all Spring females to him to get a better feel for his calves.
I was trading Corona semen for CC & 7 but the bull was not producing at that time and I needed smen so we got Trust instead. Wish I had held out for CC & 7, so far Trust calves are antsier than I like.
Valerie

vclavin":1p9jsz8r said:
Kscattle":1p9jsz8r said:

LCC New Standerd? Love the heifers. I still really like Rito 6I6 ...bull calves are very well muscled, gentle grow well. Too bad Corona was defective, I really like the herd bull and heifers out of him. Thanks heavens mine tested negative. Not decided if I like the Trust bull yet. I have to say the hereford on one of my angus cross girls is actually going to be the first time a cross may just wax the reg angus. This will be one to watch.
Valerie

We had a good New Standerd Last year in our sale... Soggy and deep... We always laughed that he has such a low bw epd and when you actually have calves they are always above average for Actual Birth Weight..

We like Corona daughters also.. We were lucky enough to get a clean son of him Corona "PAA Clean Corona" that has way better numbers... Son was co-top selling son in our test,, Ratio's Bw 89 WW 101 Yw 105 REA 114 Marb 109 RFI 107 ADG 116... he just never stopped coming on... TRUST ME YOU CAN SLEEP ALL NIGHT LONG WITH THIS BULL... Calves are normally 60-70 lbs and just keep growing..

Angus Wise we used Hoover dam, New Standard, 307 and then Wide Family.. it is hard to fault the Wide's for their performance and depth of body.. Bull was raised on a farm in Iowa.. actual REA ratio on 3 calf crops REA 108 Marb 106 and they have the traditional angus look.. 6 frame and thick..

Charolais wise we like the bravo's.. His son New Standard 842 goes back to our foundation donor 248.. Great Performance, just watch out for the horns.. M6 Right Now is our pick of the entire Grid Maker 104 Progeny... they are thick, muscular, growthy, moderate and deep... It says a lot because we owned Ec No Doubt's dam and used him along with grid maker.... and get more muscle, predictability and rib shape with Right Now... His sons were the top selling bull group in our sale.. Commercial Cattlemen love them...

i JUST HAD THREE CC&7 BABIES AND i REALLY LIKE THEM SO FAR.

TOTAL FROM SELECT SIRES GIVE GREAT GROWTH BUT i HAD ISSUES WITH WHITE.

LIKED GRID MAKER BETTER. I HAD NO TROUBLE CALVING GRID MAKER. HAD SOME NICE YOUNG FEMALES

USED GAME ON AS A YOUNG BULL AND GOT SOME POWERFUL CALVES OUT OF HIM THAT WERE MORE UNIFORM THAN THE TOTALS.

Dusty,
Way better numbers than Corona? Exactly which numbers are better? Is Clean Corona's reg #16288027? I do know he is better in one important category AMF..

Dusty,
M6 Right Now has good numbers but not quite as good as M6 New Standard. I think Right Now has far more potential for producing show winners and could do well siring 4H steers. What do you think?
A couple questions:
Have you seen any Winn Mann Lanza calves yet grown out?
What ever happened to that bull with the big EPD's you were promoting?

Latest posts