Agrilabs vet gun fly control anyone use them?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Saw one of these paintball looking guns demonstrated yesterday at a beef symposium in Winnie Texas--looks simple and easy, but does one ball of insecticide shot on the shoulder of a cow provide enough to actually do any good?

[youtube]b5qI3etEZ2c[/youtube]

Yay-Nay-Maybe?

Takes two rounds two weeks apart to see good longer lasting fly control. Some cows do get spooky I am told. I have a friend who has one and that's what he told me.

I have one, works great. I do it every 30 days when there's flys out. Best thing for fly control I've ever seen. It hasn't made any of mine spooky, alot of the time they don't pay it any attention. You need to be about 20 feet from them and be pretty well square to them or the ball bounces off. I've been very happy with it.

denvermartinfarms":axeo1hys said:
I have one, works great. I do it every 30 days when there's flys out. Best thing for fly control I've ever seen. It hasn't made any of mine spooky, alot of the time they don't pay it any attention. You need to be about 20 feet from them and be pretty well square to them or the ball bounces off. I've been very happy with it.
Does it matter where on their body you hit them?

kenny thomas":2jan9ek8 said:
denvermartinfarms":2jan9ek8 said:
Does it matter where on their body you hit them?
They say to hit them right behind the shoulder about where you shoot a deer. But I've had them move and hit some all over and it still keeps the flys off.

bird dog":2qm67gz4 said:
What does it cost for each shot including the co2? Can you also worm them this way?
Right now there's no worming this way, but they tell me it's coming. If you just buy 30 of the paintballs at a time it cost 1$ plus the co2 and it's not much, I don't know exactly but it's just a few cents per shot. If you buy the balls in bigger quantity's I think they get down to about 80 cents. Around here most places just sell them in the 30 box so it's what Ive been doing. It's about 8$ a year per cow for really good fly control, I think it's a good deal.

Thanks for that. One last question, how long does the color last? Can you do some one afternoon and finish up a couple days later and still see the ones you have shot?

I would like a way to worm cows in the trailer . Some that I buy are all wired up from the sale barn experience and I would like to worm them on the trailer instead of making things worse by putting through the chute again. A quick shot would be nice.
Thanks

bird dog":j62bn1np said:
Thanks for that. One last question, how long does the color last? Can you do some one afternoon and finish up a couple days later and still see the ones you have shot?

I would like a way to worm cows in the trailer . Some that I buy are all wired up from the sale barn experience and I would like to worm them on the trailer instead of making things worse by putting through the chute again. A quick shot would be nice.
Thanks

To worm in trailer just put appropriate amount of pouron in a syringe with out a needle and squirt it on their back. Can also treat for flies by squirting on a pouron fly control. Think Ultra Saber is the same product that's in these balls and I just squirt it on with a hose fed syringe. Mix some colorant like used when spot spraying brush, etc in the pouron to mark the treated cows. Need to be within about 10 ft to get most of it on the cows but can waste a lot and still be cheaper than these balls. Works best if they're all lined up eating cubes or something. Would like to know where can buy the balls for $1 each as the sites I have found have them at over $2 each.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... 492c527ee1
http://livestockconcepts.com/en/cattle/ ... 0caps.html

Well thats pretty much how I have been doing it except for the colorant. Thats a good idea. Its just a pain with four or five of them jostling around in to big a space. A quick shot out of a co2 gun would be nice.

The paint ball color doesn't work well at all, only thing they could improve on. It's supposed to leave a orange spot, but I can't really see it. Shows a little on white cows, but just looks like a 6 inch round wet spot on a black cow and it drys pretty fast. But you can shoot 30 or 40 cows in about 3 minutes so you don't have to remember who you have shot for very long.

Texas PaPaw":3vspkcbp said:
To worm in trailer just put appropriate amount of pouron in a syringe with out a needle and squirt it on their back. Can also treat for flies by squirting on a pouron fly control. Think Ultra Saber is the same product that's in these balls and I just squirt it on with a hose fed syringe. Mix some colorant like used when spot spraying brush, etc in the pouron to mark the treated cows. Need to be within about 10 ft to get most of it on the cows but can waste a lot and still be cheaper than these balls. Works best if they're all lined up eating cubes or something. Would like to know where can buy the balls for $1 each as the sites I have found have them at over $2 each.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... 492c527ee1
http://livestockconcepts.com/en/cattle/ ... 0caps.html

That's what the salesman told me too--same as Ultra Sabre.

I sometimes use an old soup can screwed to a broom stick to worm cows without running them through the chute. Typically around a feed trough or over a panel in the coral.