Agricultural Disaster Assistance

Help Support CattleToday:

Brahma Bull

Reaction score
Just got an email from my Texas Congressman.A hopeful development that occurred in Washington today he said.After several years of indifference,approved by a narrow margine in the House of almost $4 billion in Agricultural Disaster Assistance.
It is not law yet and unfortunately,Pres. Bush continues to oppose relief.He says he believes this is an emergency situation that requires our coming together to support many family farmers and ranchers who have been injured by severe weather conditions.I suppose like we had this last summer.It goes on to say in the $4 billion package $1.8 is for crop production loss and $1.8 is for livestock assistance.For many ranchers who have faced record feed cost,a Livestock Compensation Program will allow producers in designated disaster counties to recieve 75% of their combined feed cost.He says he don't pretend to be a big expert on agriculture but that assistance is overdue for ranchers who continue to pay record prices for feed and for farmers who have faced prolonged drought.As one Farm Bureau member put it,this assistance will prevent family owned farms going under.The high cost of feed grains,hay and forage for livestock means ranchers are still paying top dollar just to make it.The drought has meant local ranchers pay more than $70 per bale of hay for their livestock.Well the hay I inquired about was from around $60 to $100 plus this past year.I had to buy hay from the neighbor at $4.50 per square bale,normal $2 to $2.50.
I looked in all the local news papers and large city ones too.The price was all the same on round bales.It made me dang mad too.So I wrote my Congressman about it.Said aint this the same as those building supply guys charging $50 per sheet of plywood and $4 per gallon for gas,$1 each for flashlight battery during a hurricane.They get prosecuted for price gouging.Taking advantage of the situation.So shouldn't those guys charging over $100 per bale for hay during a severe drought be held accountable for that,aint it the same thing?Or am I the only one that feels that way and maybe missing something here.Then I had to sell some of my cows too and boy did I take a beating.$750 for 2 bred mom ma cows.Made me want to cry.So this is what put a hotshot to my britches to write my Congressman.I hope I did the right thing.

Brahma Bull":70oyonqy said:
Just got an email from my Texas Congressman.A hopeful development that occurred in Washington today he said.After several years of indifference,approved by a narrow margine in the House of almost $4 billion in Agricultural Disaster Assistance.
It is not law yet and unfortunately,Pres. Bush continues to oppose relief.He says he believes this is an emergency situation that requires our coming together to support many family farmers and ranchers who have been injured by severe weather conditions.I suppose like we had this last summer.It goes on to say in the $4 billion package $1.8 is for crop production loss and $1.8 is for livestock assistance.For many ranchers who have faced record feed cost,a Livestock Compensation Program will allow producers in designated disaster counties to recieve 75% of their combined feed cost.He says he don't pretend to be a big expert on agriculture but that assistance is overdue for ranchers who continue to pay record prices for feed and for farmers who have faced prolonged drought.As one Farm Bureau member put it,this assistance will prevent family owned farms going under.The high cost of feed grains,hay and forage for livestock means ranchers are still paying top dollar just to make it.The drought has meant local ranchers pay more than $70 per bale of hay for their livestock.Well the hay I inquired about was from around $60 to $100 plus this past year.I had to buy hay from the neighbor at $4.50 per square bale,normal $2 to $2.50.
I looked in all the local news papers and large city ones too.The price was all the same on round bales.It made me dang mad too.So I wrote my Congressman about it.Said aint this the same as those building supply guys charging $50 per sheet of plywood and $4 per gallon for gas,$1 each for flashlight battery during a hurricane.They get prosecuted for price gouging.Taking advantage of the situation.So shouldn't those guys charging over $100 per bale for hay during a severe drought be held accountable for that,aint it the same thing?Or am I the only one that feels that way and maybe missing something here.Then I had to sell some of my cows too and boy did I take a beating.$750 for 2 bred mom ma cows.Made me want to cry.So this is what put a hotshot to my britches to write my Congressman.I hope I did the right thing.

I think you did the right thing,and I hope you have a long memory about hay prices,I dont believe I would be calling A person that doubled hay prices neighbor,I sell some hay when we aint in a drought,I have never treated anyone like that,be hard to look a man in the face charging $100 for a roll of hay............good luck

Brahma Bull":dscve0o5 said:
hold the ph everyone bush isnt the reason we arnt getting drought releif.its those 2 hurracanes that hit katrina an rita.our local scs office said thats where all the money went to the hurricane areas.i feel like he wont give the farmers much releif because its the fat tied into the war bill.congress an house are trying to force his hand.thus making him cut the milayeries throat in the process.so dont go gripping at bush.sure its going to force alot of us to pay high for hay an feed.or sale our herds out or cutting our herds.but lets get real here.its not bushes falt we are in a drought.you people are forgetting 1 thing.God is control of the rain the war the whole world not pres bush.so sitt back an think about it before you get madd at any1.

Sure it's Bush. He will veto the bill because it contains verbage that the troops must leave at a certain date. The democrats put in money to help us and our great leader would rather screw the farmers and blow it all overseas.

I personally hope that they impeach the s.o.b.

littleboss":2fy8tcvo said:
Sure it's Bush. He will veto the bill because it contains verbage that the troops must leave at a certain date. The democrats put in money to help us and our great leader would rather screw the farmers and blow it all overseas.

I personally hope that they impeach the s.o.b.
well its both parties acting like morons.an trying to force bush into a corner.but bottomlinethey are spitting on the troops.an that is very wrong.i pitty the next chump thats elcted pres.because its gonna blowup in their faces bad.esp if they back off the terrorist.the terrorist will bomb us again on our homeground.

Seems like everyone has their hand out nowadays and expects someone to put money in it. If they don't get it they have to blame someone. I can't remember reading anything in the history books that said "The government is here to help everyone who goes broke. And we will tax the hell out of everyone to make sure that if someone is down on their luck will give them money." Hay prices go up during a drought because of supply and demand. I don't hear people griping when beef prices are up.

Walt

The people with the most political pull gets the hand out. Thats why I don't think the federal government has any business deciding who gets them. Emphasis on federal. If anything it should be a state thing.

Walt

Yeah there is always 2 sides to every story.I have been a (R) all my life.But right now I feel the same way about both partys.
They all need a good swift kick in the back side.The War I am 50/50 on that.For the farmers and ranchers that sure enough really need that assistance,yeah ok.I can make it on my own,no
need any help.I know supply and demand drives the markets.
But during a severe drought?Aaaah,makes me #$^%)(%$#@!!!
But that is just me.The price of beef goes up cause there is a shortage not related to any natural disaster,same with hay.Ok I buy that.Don't take advantage of your fellow farmers in a time of hardship.I couldn't do that.Like only paying someone $200 for a reg. mom ma cow w/ calf in the middle of a bad summer drought.That goes against my grain.

Latest posts