Age of herd bull

Help Support CattleToday:

1982vett said:
Thinking back, most every bull limped out of here at 6 to 8 years of age. Had one die on me and another walked out just fine but had recovered from a slight injury. Still chasing the girls but couldn't get the job done. That one cost me a good portion of a calf crop.

Mine is 10 still got good teeth, feet and working. Might be 11 have to check his paperwork.

Longevity i.e. long term soundness/fertility of bulls and cows in most if not all of the purebred industry is unfortunately undervalued.

76 Bar said:
Longevity i.e. long term soundness/fertility of bulls and cows in most if not all of the purebred industry is unfortunately undervalued.

That is why people fight over Brahman/Jersey F-1 when they are some in my neck of the woods. Your looking a calf raising machine for 20+ years.

Caustic Burno said:
76 Bar said:

That is why people fight over Brahman/Jersey F-1 when they are some in my neck of the woods. Your looking a calf raising machine for 20+ years.

Don't their teeth wear out? Around here if a cow earns the right to still be working at 16, she is usually is pretty smooth gummed.

SBMF 2015 said:
Caustic Burno said:
76 Bar said:

Don't their teeth wear out? Around here if a cow earns the right to still be working at 16, she is usually is pretty smooth gummed.

I am a grass farmer.
Good grass equals good teeth.
I hauled some F-1 Brimmer girls for my neighbor in the 2011 drought.
Every cow was 20 to 25 and still had good teeth the worst one was short and solid. I sold some Brangus that were over 20 as well. All still producing a calf every 12 months.

Caustic Burno said:
SBMF 2015 said:
Caustic Burno said:

I am a grass farmer.
Every cow was 20 to 25 and still had good teeth the worst one was short and solid. I sold some Brangus that were over 20 as well. All still producing a calf every 12 months.

That's Wild. I've seen a lot of cows go through the sale barn that came out of the same hills of Nebraska. The sand that the cows eat with the grass is like a grinding wheel on their teeth.
We saw a lot of six year old cows with 8-9+ yr old mouths.

Dumb me, I just figured TX would be the same.

Feeding sugar beet byproduct (which has a lot of dirt in it) is hard on teeth too.

I butchered a fat Hereford cow that moved here from ND some years earlier. No idea on age, but she had no teeth at all.

For me five years of age is the longest I've kept bulls. Usually around 4 sometimes younger they realize they can travel where they want and once they do it's continual. By that point they are big and about time to change anyway as I try to avoid close breeding on much of a scale.

Ky hills said:
For me five years of age is the longest I've kept bulls. Usually around 4 sometimes younger they realize they can travel where they want and once they do it's continual. By that point they are big and about time to change anyway as I try to avoid close breeding on much of a scale.

I looked at Obama's papers this morning he will 11 in February.

Caustic Burno said:
Ky hills said:

Cross bred?

Stocker Steve said:
Caustic Burno said:
Ky hills said:

Cross bred?

No he's registered Angus.
I named that to PO the Mrs.
I swore I wouldn't own one so when I
bought I registered him in her name.

Caustic Burno said:
SBMF 2015 said:
Caustic Burno said:

I am a grass farmer.
That would be the exception and certainly not the norm

TexasBred said:
Caustic Burno said:
SBMF 2015 said:

I am a grass farmer.

Not really I have two 16 old Herefords that I just pulled 500 pound calves off of two weeks ago both still have good teeth maintaining BCS. Add Brahman and that automatically increases longevity, only Jersey has more than Brahman. That's why the Brahman Jersey F-1 is so desirable just hard to find. Best source I know of is your neck of the woods.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PfSk2RMB65w

http://www.bifconference.com/bif2012/documents/07bif2012_sanderslongevity.pdf

Dr. David Riley has some really good publication on longevity and genetic improvement using Brahman genetics.
Absolutely one of the best seminars I ever attended. The link below is an overview of his seminar.

http://cattletoday.com/archive/2014/June/CT3087.php

Stocker Steve said:
Why does Jersey nic so well with Brahma?

How does this compare to Jersey x English or Continental?

On that Steve I have no clue but it works exceptionally well. Biggest issue I have had with Tigers is udders that goes away with the Jersey. Can't answer the English question.Here's one starving to death on crab grass. They make big cows as well.

Back on the coast I had a source of very well bred bulls that didn't have papers for a very affordable price. I mostly used them one year, kept them over the winter, turned them in with the cows again for 60 days, and them shipped them. It cost a lot to feed a bull for 305 days while he is standing around doing nothing. For that same feed bill you can easily feed another cow who is making you money. As I said they were affordable. I generally got my purchase money back when I shipped them.

Caustic Burno said:
TexasBred said:
Caustic Burno said:
I am a grass farmer.

Not really I have two 16 old Herefords that I just pulled 500 pound calves off of two weeks ago both still have good teeth maintaining BCS. Add Brahman and that automatically increases longevity, only Jersey has more than Brahman. That's why the Brahman Jersey F-1 is so desirable just hard to find. Best source I know of is your neck of the woods.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PfSk2RMB65w

http://www.bifconference.com/bif2012/documents/07bif2012_sanderslongevity.pdf

Dr. David Riley has some really good publication on longevity and genetic improvement using Brahman genetics.
Absolutely one of the best seminars I ever attended. The link below is an overview of his seminar.

http://cattletoday.com/archive/2014/June/CT3087.php
Not questioning the longevity of the cattle but rather the teeth at that age. Gotta be considerable wear at 20 years of age

Latest posts