Age Limit on Social Media

Help Support CattleToday:

Should a person be at least 18 years old to use social media?

• YES

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • NO

Votes: 25 67.6%
  • You should have to take a class, pass a test, and be certified.

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
ga.prime":1hfh9uam said:
Obviously, any minimum age rule on a free internet is unenforceable. Obviously.
And I suspect any other rule would be too, as are any that are already present. AFAIK, anything/everything that any app or website provider requires now, is dependent solely on the honesty and accuracy of information provided by the user. It's not like anyone asks for a photo id or certified birth certificate. I have to assume, that anyone of any age can go to any website on the web as long as they have a finger that swipes or knows how to use a mouse.
Any 12 yr old can probably circumvent one of those 'netnanny' type apps..probably easier and faster than any of us here could.

The current state of algorithms can be useful in maybe determining someone's general age group just by their posting style, what they talk about etc, but not foolproof by any means. NSA type agencies can't even find every potential global terrorist or potential ISIS/Al qaeda enlistee and they have billions of $$ in ultra hi tech assets to work with.

Was thinking today how so many in our "land of the free, and home of the brave" want somebody else to be responsible for them.

Parents want schools to educate and feed their kids. Then schools get shot up, and instead of defending themselves, everybody wants government to get rid of guns.

HIgh school kids screaming for government to save them. All displayed by news media who won't take some responsibility by limiting coverage of the shootings, thereby providing the shooters all the attention they want.

Also a story on the news about the opioid crisis, and politicians are going after the drug companies to better restrict their drugs.

When will parents and kids and everyone become more responsible for their own actions?

Parents won't restrict their kids, so they want the law to do it for them? It isn't that hard to cut groceries to your kid if they don't follow your rules, but as I've learned here, that is considered horrific. You have to give your kids everything they want, and beg them to behave.

Victimhood is now the country's fastest growing industry. All our problems are due to someone else abusing us, or not caring for us, or not protecting us.

It's about time we just let people die. I don't understand how you can be stupid enough to overdose on drugs or get so hung up on social media that you commit suicide, or get fat or whatever. Maybe it would be better to pressure kids to use drugs and social media, and tell them it'll probably kill them. Telling them no doesn't seem to work, maybe use some reverse psychology.

All this technology is considered to be "progress", so there's no going back. The goal is to sit on our rears, as I'm doing typing this, and do as little as possible, and never have to move, and play drama games with each other. Our wonderful future is doing nothing.

Go to fake schools to get a fake education to get fake jobs earning fake money to buy screens on which you watch fake shows and type fake crap about fake drama while eating fake food and then take fake pills to get fake sleep after which you take more fake pills to feel fake energy, which doesn't work so you go to fake doctors to get more fake pills.

So we create a fake life for our kids, and we don't want them on fake social media? Fake is the dream!

On a lot of sites there is already a age limit all you have to do is check the box that says your over what ever age or put in a fake birthday

The first time I made an account on this website I had to use a fake birthday to avoid having to have my parents sign a permission slip (they wouldn't have minded but I didn't want the hassle)

Bright Raven":2js4orcr said:
Voted no. You guys surprise me. I thought everyone here hated any kinda regulation or limitations.

You would think that. But I have come to see with threads like these that there really are two camps here, Libertarians and 'Republicans'. I use the latter loosely as I think a few might be closet Democrats.

Especially when someone says, "Well the Government doesn't let us do X, Y and Z, so why should they let us do W?" That is pretty much how every Democrat's position, on anything, starts.

Aaron":73su5uxh said:
Bright Raven":73su5uxh said:
Voted no. You guys surprise me. I thought everyone here hated any kinda regulation or limitations.

You would think that. But I have come to see with threads like these that there really are two camps here, Libertarians and 'Republicans'. I use the latter loosely as I think a few might be closet Democrats.

Especially when someone says, "Well the Government doesn't let us do X, Y and Z, so why should they let us do W?" That is pretty much how every Democrat's position, on anything, starts.

I see the same thing. It does cause one to wonder. .

Aaron":130f1lm6 said:
Bright Raven":130f1lm6 said:

So y'all two think we should lower or do away with the minimum age to buy alcohol or buy tobacco?

What about handguns? A 10 year old should be able to buy a pistol?

Strip clubs? 12 years old should be old enough ain't it?

Should we just do away with all those age restrictions?

To every one who has used more govt regulation as a reason... answer the questions above.

How old should you be to buy a handgun?
Alcohol?
Tobacco?
Go to a strip club?

If y'all are for no government regulation and letting parents decide should we do away with all of these laws also?

Brute 23":37dst9vf said:
Aaron":37dst9vf said:
Bright Raven":37dst9vf said:

So y'all two think we should lower or do away with the minimum age to buy alcohol or buy tobacco?

What about handguns? A 10 year old should be able to buy a pistol?

Strip clubs? 12 years old should be old enough ain't it?

Should we just do away with all those age restrictions?

At some point in history, there was no regulation of any of the aforementioned. Parents, and adults in general were expected to supervise and guide children as to what was acceptable for their age. At some point, the child was expected to have enough intelligence to look after themselves, and long before the age of 18.

Then a Democrat walked by with his buddy and said he could get him a job enforcing age restriction regulations on all these people, because they obviously couldn't do it themselves.

Kinda like my uncle and his hatred for seat belts. Never had them until his was well into his 20's. Then someone decided they had to save all the stupid drivers. Stupid drivers never grew up to have kids, now they are everywhere.

I'm not talking about 50 years ago... I'm talking about right now... today... are 13, 15, 17 year old kids mature enough to handle alcohol, tobacco, purchasing guns, and social media?

The reason I ask is in the thread about the school shooting most people agreed parents were not doing their job... not paying enough attention, not disciplining their kids enough, not monitoring their friends.

So FF... here we are... now people are saying it's the parents job not the government.

So which is it... are parents doing their job or not?

Probably are not 'doing their job' and plenty of young people aren't mature enough to use the things you listed but there are lots of adults (even on this board) that evidently, aren't mature enough to handle social media either; otherwise, we wouldn't have locked threads.

Brute 23":qbwsukc4 said:
I'm not talking about 50 years ago... I'm talking about right now... today... are 13, 15, 17 year old kids mature enough to handle alcohol, tobacco, purchasing guns, and social media?

The reason I ask is in the thread about the school shooting most people agreed parents were not doing their job... not paying enough attention, not disciplining their kids enough, not monitoring their friends.

So FF... here we are... now people are saying it's the parents job not the government.

Great question and reasoning, I don't like government in my stuff but it definitely has it's place. I think you proved that Brute. :tiphat:

Brute 23":b29o4muf said:

There would be a lot of 'turnover' as government-mandated regulation has been around so long in place of personal responsibility. The generations have gotten progressively dumber as government seeks to protect them from themselves. Can't even let drug addicts overdose and die in the back alley anymore, government has to 'save' them and give them 'safe injection sites' so they can continue their cyclical journey.

Brute 23":owg50k1q said:

I believe a good portion of parents ARE doing their job. When you objectively look at the number of schools in this nation in comparison to the number of shooting events that have occurred, it just isnt the 'epidemic' our media would have you believe. I'm certain that social media is an area that most parents need to be more involved in pertaining to their children because it is THEIR responsibility; whether they are doing it or not.
It is the parents job and many probably are not doing their job. One thing I am certain of though, more govt intervention is not the solution. Rarely does govt involvement improve family matters.(that's my personal opinion) Due to the bureaucracy, financial waste, poor leadership, and the long term impact on society. Seems often time, we promote govt programs to solve 'our' problems and the result is worse than what we started with. Think SS, welfare, education loans/grants, federal reserve, on and on it goes.

Recently, weren't you and I discussing net neutrality and you were NOT in favor of govt regulation there?

I hate to leave problem without offering a possible solution.
My solution:
Parents gain control of their homes, accept the responsibility they have elected to produce. Our society, as a whole, needs to toughen up and stop being so d*mend fragile and cease looking for a handout or bailout at every turn. Stop looking for all the reasons we disagree and find some common ground. We have spent so much time focusing on topics that only impact a small percentage of the population(gay marriage, legalize marijuana, transgender, the circus that is our political arena) while in our own homes, we don't put near the energy into what matters. Namely, raising children to be healthy, functioning members of society that can think, create, problem solve, etc.
Why? Because it's easier to buy a $400 cell phone, laptop, game system and let that item, through the internet, raise them. It's much more work to engage a child; do the hard shyt, like discipline, converse, explain, spend time and be in their day to day business. Like our grandparents used to do...

I believe a good portion of parents ARE doing their job. When you objectively look at the number of schools in this nation in comparison to the number of shooting events that have occurred, it just isnt the 'epidemic' our media would have you believe.
Brings up the old questions...........
"Just how many cows does it take to make a stampede Earl..more than 2...3 or more?"
and
"How many barbarians does it take to quantify as a horde?"

The relevant question tho, is: "How many school shoot ups is too many?
The only reasonable answer is '1'.

greybeard":5ho7c5r4 said:
I believe a good portion of parents ARE doing their job. When you objectively look at the number of schools in this nation in comparison to the number of shooting events that have occurred, it just isnt the 'epidemic' our media would have you believe.
"Just how many cows does it take to make a stampede Earl..more than 2...3 or more?"
and

The school attack is nothing new in our history. I forget the Indian War in the East happened in the 1700's massacred all killed but one or two.
It was a soft target then as today.

I honestly don't think parents are purposely trying to hurt their children. Social media is very new to our society as a whole. We really don't know the long term effects.

I am the age that played in the streets of the neighborhood but had social media as a teenager. The break is + or - a couple years of me. There is a huge difference between the two age groups. In fact there is talk of splitting the "millenial" name tag along that line because of the difference.

greybeard":3ldgeizy said:
and

Or how many kids need to overdose on heroin? Die in a drunk driving accident? Be abused? Die at the hands of gang violence? The answer is always NONE. The point is, media is sensationalizing these fairly low percentage occurrences(when compared to other deadly higher percentage problems kids face) because they have an agenda. Grabbing assault rifles will not stop this. This country is past that now. These kids are committing acts of terror on one another. That will not be reversed now. You guys like to call it 'closing the barn after the horse is already out.' Society has shifted and will continue to shift. The only constant is change...this one is not for the better.