again with the fly control

Help Support CattleToday:

porchpickles

Reaction score
ok.so us va. people had dry then wet weather.the flies came back out and now im having a problem with them...they have rubs charged with permectrin II and diesel.. also did dectomax on a few of the girls..........nothing is helping.could it be the biodiesel has too much whatever and the permectrin isnt sticking to it?........i had no trouble with flies until about 2 weeks ago.....help!!...

If you're not dealing with a huge herd you may try mixing it with water and spraying your cattle. The flies will locate on the animal where the backrub won't do much good like on the undersides. Spraying them will help until the next rain, which I hope is soon.

I'm finding that I need to douse the rubs about once a week this time of year rather than once a month. Also ned to recharge after a significant rain. I put new "flyps" on the rub. These are the strips that hang down to get the permythrin on the face and sides rather than just on the back. Control seems reasonably good if I douse the setup regularly.

Are you making sure the permythrin is well mixed in the diesel? Good luck.

porchpickles":3c42nrww said:
ok.so us va. people had dry then wet weather.the flies came back out and now im having a problem with them...they have rubs charged with permectrin II and diesel.. also did dectomax on a few of the girls..........nothing is helping.could it be the biodiesel has too much whatever and the permectrin isnt sticking to it?........i had no trouble with flies until about 2 weeks ago.....help!!...

Hmmm, biodiesel. Might be what is drawing the flys. Don't want to get into a " he say, she say" about it but I'm not sure I can get past that it is sill a fat, reguardless of what it has been mix or filtered thru. It is still rotting organic matter as opposed to already rotted organic matter. :lol: Just something to consider.
I usually have good results with the rubs charged with permethrin and red dyed diesel (the type with sulphur and all, well you know :roll: ). But from time to time the flys do seem to get out of hand. In a pump up sprayer, I mix up some permethrin with water per directions on the lable, put the cattle in the lot and squirt them down. Or you can run them thru a chute and use the pour on. No one thing is 100% all of the time.

Vett, I think you have something with the bio diesel maybe drawing flies. That stuff is different. They make it from french fry fryer oil sometimes and that would certainly draw flies. I also have had good luck with the rubs and permythrin this year even though it has been a tough one for flies. Need to keep it charged though, especially after a rain. Thanks for the idea.

We use a hand sprayer, insert a valve stem, and use the air compressor to gain pressure, spray recommended amount on their backs, we use saber and have had the best luck, lasts 2-3 weeks, except for face flies, insecticide tags seem to help.

It is getting fall and flies are always worse just before the cool weather comes. We agree spraying at this time of year is almost necessary to get under them to control the flies. If you control flies late in the season you will not have as many flies next year and you will most likely not have a external parasite problem in the winter.

Latest posts