Afterbirth?

Help Support CattleToday:

W-5

Reaction score
I had a calf on Saturday, and the cow still has some after birth hanging out. Do I just let her take care of it, or do I need to get it out?

It is best to leave it alone. Pulling it out can cause damage. If she still has it a week after call your vet. If she starts showing signs of a fever treat her or call your vet. An injection of oxytocin will help with the cleaning also.

Sorry I disagree.
Had a heifer calve yesterday morning, she passed around 95% of the afterbirth. Around 11pm last night I could smell it starting to stink so I grabbed it and gave some traction and it came right out.

Nothing will clear out a barn faster then rotten afterbirth.

I luv herfrds":wq3fe324 said:
Sorry I disagree.
Had a heifer calve yesterday morning, she passed around 95% of the afterbirth. Around 11pm last night I could smell it starting to stink so I grabbed it and gave some traction and it came right out.

But that's not advice I would give to everyone. Not everyone knows when to intervene, how, etc.
Otherwise we get a bunch of " my cows dead, what happened" posts.
Just my .02

If you're not sure, start her on antibiotics. Over the counter penecillin works fine for holding off potential problems if you give it in the correct dosages. If you can keep infection from being part of the problem then the retained placenta itself is not that big of a deal.
Ocytocin will help... more is NOT better.
Lutalyse will help... more is NOT better.
For future knowledge, a mineral suplementation program will keep retained placenta problems to a minimum.

hooknline":vg1zowu3 said:
I luv herfrds":vg1zowu3 said:
Sorry I disagree.

But that's not advice I would give to everyone. Not everyone knows when to intervene, how, etc.
Otherwise we get a bunch of " my cows dead, what happened" posts.
Just my .02

a point well taken, hook.

JSCATTLE":10ycel9n said:
Isn't retained placenta / after birth. Caused by mineral deficiency?

It can be a sign that the cows are low on selenium. It can also be an indicator of a hard calving, twins, subclinical milk fever or just generally too exhausted to get on with calving the afterbirth once the important part of calving is over.
I'd follow the general advice of leave it for a week or so before attempting to remove it... most will have passed it in that time - and only treat with antibiotics if the cow starts looking sick. Tying it up out of the way is a good idea and so is giving it a *gentle* tug to see if it slides out easily.

I was always told it was a mineral deficiency in general . But from reading on the net . There are several different minerals and a few vitamins that it could be . Along with what others have said . I guess if it was several cows that had the problem I would look to the mineral .

hook we have removed rotten afterbirth that would have gagged a maggot. Yeah some guys don't know how to do it is right, but each cow is different. Has the OP tried to remove it or just left it?
Is it a hard pull or is it coming out easily with traction?

Yeah your :2cents: and I added my :2cents: :tiphat:

I would have to take Hooks :2cents: on this one. Can't say I've ever started smelling rotting placenta just a few hours after birth, now a few days that stuff gets pretty ripe....

Like I said in my previous post, if she has enough hanging out tie it up in a knot or even tie a little baggy of water to it and practice benign neglect.

Let us know how it goes!

When I checked my cows yesterday she didn't have any after birth left hanging. I want to thank everyone for their advice. I've been doing this for about 3 yrs, so I have alot to learn.

W-5":2bm8t5eq said:
I've been doing this for about 3 yrs, so I have alot to learn.
Even after 50 years there will still be a lot to learn

Placenta is attached to the uterus like interlacing your fingers together with your hands pointed toward each other. Like finger between finger. almost like a zipper. Smaller of course but that is how it attaches. After the birth, there is supposed to be a release of a hormone which releases the bonding between the two. The after birth is discharged.

I wouldn't pull it out. Not locked together in a bond. OUCH! :compute:

gimpyrancher":21q9hoxv said:
Placenta is attached to the uterus like interlacing your fingers together with your hands pointed toward each other. Like finger between finger. almost like a zipper. Smaller of course but that is how it attaches. After the birth, there is supposed to be a release of a hormone which releases the bonding between the two. The after birth is discharged.

I wouldn't pull it out. Not locked together in a bond. OUCH! :compute:
Actually it's more like snaps on a shirt. The male part is the uterus side (caruncles) and the female part (cotyledons) is the placenta side

Latest posts