Afrikaner Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Azraised13

Reaction score
Anyone out there that could help me acquire Afrikaner Bull semen? Not from South Africa, because apparently I cannot import semen from there! I saw that there are Afrikaner herds in Australia.
We run on very dry desert ranches are are looking to improve our herd! Thanks!

From my enquiries over several years, it seems there are no pure Afrikaner in Australia or Argentina, the original stock has been used to develop composites or just bred out in commercial herds. It might be possible to import embryos from South Africa to Canada, as was done with the Tuli , and the calves born in Canada imported to the USA, Argentina does have import protocols with South Africa, it depends on how much anyone is prepared to invest in an import project. The alternative is to use one of the closely related breeds such as the Tuli which is similar but does not have the Zebu influence present in the Afrikaner.

@Aussie27 any info on this?

My search for Afrikaner cattle in the USA has been unsuccessful.

I have found Afrikaner semen in Australia but we don't think there are enough diversity to be successful.

I have inquired with Embryos Plus in SA and the person I spoke to said the cannot Export to Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Great Britain or the EU. If you find otherwise lit me know. I am will to invest as much as possible if that is the case. I also have other parties in Australia interested. I have a Mate in the Rare Breed Society here exploring every possible avenue to get Afrikaner genetics to Australia. Afrikaner are a very unique breed due to a large amount of genetic drift. That's why it appears very Zebu like but has near British shear force figures.

Tuli are good cattle but they are from better country then Afrikaners so they are not as well suited to harsh conditions.

Bonsmara are a good alternative depending on what you are starting from. Beef quality is akin to Angus and similar to Afrikaner. For dry country not as good as Africander but better then most.

In the "Sanga" type the best alternative I know of is probably the Nguni if you can get over some of the coat colours. They don't have the muscling or size or quite the beef quality of the Afrikaner. The beef is dark. Nguni in combination with the Bonsmara you should get a good animal. Mashona is similar to Nguni but smaller solid colours and from a more tropical area.

I am hoping to use crosses from all three breeds if I can breed up to Afrikaner as Tuli and Nguni are available in Poll over here and Bonsmara is derived from Afrikaner.

What are you currently breeding?

Nguni straws for in Australia available for US.

I also recommend Johann Zeitsman's book PM me if you want more details.

This is a link to a study on South African Sanga cattle Genetics showing the ancestry of some of these breeds.

Latest posts