Cloning Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

504RP

Reaction score
I was at a court ordered auction last week. They sold alot of horse's . Some papered, some not.

I was talking to someone who had came to bid on them. He told me alot of the horse's were clone's.

I don't know what all is ivolved in cloning animals ? Knew they had started doing it on an experimental level, but didn't know that it was available for farmers to do on live stock in farm operations now ?

Has anyone here been involved in cloneing cattle ? If so is it a complicated process ?

It has been done for over a decade in the show world look at the show bull Monopoly he has 7 clones so far.

EXT has a clone, OCC Anchor, I think has a clone. Expense is the issue. If the original was good, the clone is good. If the original was hype, the clone is hype.

First clone cattle I remember hearing about was the bucking bull panhandle slim
He had a number of clones not all where the same if I remember 4 of the 6 or 7 clones went on to buck in the pbr and prca they each had a slightly different look then each other or panhandle slim
One went to burger and was never bucked because he was plumb crazy and mean Don't remember where the rest ended up

Very interesting.

My son always says I need a cloning machine to clone myself...so one can clean the house and the other can play with him all day. Sound good to me. I'd send my clone to do the things I didn't want too.

I've done work for some clients that had animals cloned. At the time they said it was about $20,000 to produce a calf, but like any embryo business it varied a lot with how productive it was. It's been a few years, so I'm not sure how much those numbers have changed.

Whether or not you consider it to be a "complicated" process depends on how you look at it. Scientifically, yes, it's complicated. From an owner standpoint, not really. Just present your animal for sample collection and have your checkbook ready.

I knew scientists had been cloneing animals and supposedly were wanting to clone humans. Because of motal & eithical issues. In the United States wouldn't allow it to be done with humans. I saw talk shows with world renowned scientists who said cloneing of humans was being done in parts of the world. It has been a couple of decades since i had heard anything about cloneing until that guy at the auction was telling me about thoes cloned horse's.

That was supposed to read Moral not Mortal . Sorry about that.

Latest posts