Advice wanted on Highland Bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

jennibluis

Reaction score
Hello,
I have the opportunity to purchase a 10 month old highland bull calf. Asking price is $700 but will go down to $600, it's being weened right now. It went through a weak spot in the fence once and they're motivated not to have to fix the fence again. I have a angus/charlois heifer (Ginger) and a herford/charlois heifer (Rosebud,who might be a freemartin, but that's another story.) My goal is freezer beef for now, but possibly selling extra in the future. One concern is that Ginger might be too tall for him. What do I need to look for?

ollie'":2x5dnjmd said:
A hole for Gingers back feet.
Ok, funny!
Is height a none issue then? Will she be getting any taller that she is now (9 or 10 months)? Or just wider? If not it probably is a non issue but the seller brought it up.

jennibluis":3jybunuw said:
ollie'":3jybunuw said:
A hole for Gingers back feet.
Ok, funny!
Is height a none issue then? Will she be getting any taller that she is now (9 or 10 months)? Or just wider? If not it probably is a non issue but the seller brought it up.

Good for the seller - likely a straight shooter - but I have often seen shorties breed the tall ones - somehow where there is a will, there always seems to be a way.

Bez!

So should I wait for him to be weaned, or have him delivered and then he can't get back to mama? Should he be kept in the pen or just separated in a different pasture from my 2 for a little while?

I'd try to avoid having my heifers covered by a Highland unless this is some specific combination that you want. Don't think that the calves would be beauty contest constestants. Just my opinion.
Nature always finds a way.

I woudn't worry about the height, a friend of mine had a neighbour's short legged Dexter bull climb under the fence,he didn't worry, and moved him a few days later. The result was five Africana cross Brahman cows, and his jersey house cow had Dexter calves! The same bull did similar damage to a Holstein her soon after,and he was really a tiny bull!

jennibluis":dbnq5lc4 said:
So if I decide to get him,when should I get him (before or after weaning) and how should I introduce him?
I would introduce him by saying: LADIES AND GENTLEMEN , THE FINEST HAIRY LITTLE BULL EVER TO WALK GINGERS PASTURE! MAY I PRESENT TO YOU ...HIGHLAND THE LESSER.

Susie David":218v6ido said:
I'd try to avoid having my heifers covered by a Highland unless this is some specific combination that you want. Don't think that the calves would be beauty contest constestants. Just my opinion.
Nature always finds a way.
Does that mean you don't like highland or just not for heifers? If I'm going to eat them, not so cute might be better....

jennibluis":3bez113w said:
So if I decide to get him,when should I get him (before or after weaning) and how should I introduce him?
Let the other man wean him. After a week or little more go get him, pull into the field and open the trailer gate.

ollie'":3f8re2k8 said:
jennibluis":3f8re2k8 said:
I would introduce him by saying: LADIES AND GENTLEMEN , THE FINEST HAIRY LITTLE BULL EVER TO WALK GINGERS PASTURE! MAY I PRESENT TO YOU ...HIGHLAND THE LESSER.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, I'm trying to do this properly and not make silly purchases.

jennibluis":1nvgnbi5 said:
Hello,
I have the opportunity to purchase a 10 month old highland bull calf. Asking price is $700 but will go down to $600, it's being weened right now. It went through a weak spot in the fence once and they're motivated not to have to fix the fence again. I have a angus/charlois heifer (Ginger) and a herford/charlois heifer (Rosebud,who might be a freemartin, but that's another story.) My goal is freezer beef for now, but possibly selling extra in the future. One concern is that Ginger might be too tall for him. What do I need to look for?

Upon re-reading:

You have two animals - one might be a freemartin. Why spend so much money on a bull?

A.I. the one that is whole and have the tech run his arm up the possible freemartin. If it is - down the road - if not breed it the same way.

Total cost - under 50 bucks.

Let the seller take the bull and sell it - you take the money saved and use it for something else.

Regards,

Bez!

Bez!":1yx71lhl said:
jennibluis":1yx71lhl said:
Hello,

Upon re-reading:

You have two animals - one might be a freemartin. Why spend so much money on a bull?

A.I. the one that is whole and have the tech run his arm up the possible freemartin. If it is - down the road - if not breed it the same way.

Let the seller take the bull and sell it - you take the money saved and use it for something else.

Regards,

Bez!
I think you may be right, but I really like the idea of the highlands.
This may be a stupid question, but what if he became a steer after doing his duty? Or was sold after?

jennibluis":146epvos said:
Bez!":146epvos said:
jennibluis":146epvos said:
Hello,

Upon re-reading:

Regards,

Bez!
I think you may be right, but I really like the idea of the highlands.
This may be a stupid question, but what if he became a steer after doing his duty? Or was sold after?

I have heard they finish up real good - but heck you can AI to one of these hairy little critters if that is the way you want to go.

You might sell him for the money spent and you might not - cattleman's choice.

Bez!

There is always a good deal on animals. I wouldn't buy a breed based on the "deal" that you can get at the time; though Susie had a weak moment at the sale barn last year...another story.
We try to have our heifers calve as two year olds...subtract 283 days from two years...we breed in the late spring for March calves.
Do you plan on growing freezer beef, I hear that highlands are good eating and don't have to worry about the steaks being to big for the plate. There is a ranch near here that does a good business with the highlands, doesn't cross them...sells alot of horns and pelts as well as beef.
No prejudice for highlands, just never had warmed up to them.
DMc

Orerancher":1zxqjpgt said:
Your heifers are 9-10mo old?
Don't think I would want any bull with em for at least another 9mos or so...
Am I getting ahead of myself? I thought I had read that someone tried to have their angus bred but the time they were 1 year. Of course, I read somewhere else that charlois don't even mature until 3. So much conflicting info.

Orerancher":me7d3hz5 said:
Your heifers are 9-10mo old?
Don't think I would want any bull with em for at least another 9mos or so...

I missed that one completely! Good pick up - must learn to improve my comprehension. :lol:

We try to have our HH bred by about 14 months. Size is more important to us than age.

Bez!