advice on hauling bulls long distance

Help Support CattleToday:

keysbottles

Reaction score
I'm looking at a couple of bulls that are 540 miles from me. I've never transported animals that distance before and could use some advice on what I can expect in regard to animal care. I plan to make a non stop trip, I'm guessing 14 hours. Thanks in advance

As long as they have some grass hay and fresh water waiting for them when you get home, they will be fine. Sawdust / straw in trailer gives them a little more comfort.

You must drive a lot slower than I do. :cboy:

I went and got my bull 1155 miles away. He had fresh hay and was offered fresh water every time I took a break. He survived just fine.

They will be just fine. As a friend of mine says,"They'll do better the longer you stay in the drivers seat". I would have some really good smelling hay waiting for them when you return. Also I would carry two spare tires. Trouble on the road is amplified ten fold when hauling livestock.

Galloway, I find as I get older, It takes a little longer to do many things, including a 500 mile road trip. Plus the roads between NE Arkansas and East Tennessee aren't the best for making good time. Thanks to everyone for the feed back, I'm looking forward to the trip.

keysbottles":1lcqjuaz said:
Galloway, I find as I get older, It takes a little longer to do many things, including a 500 mile road trip. Plus the roads between NE Arkansas and East Tennessee aren't the best for making good time. Thanks to everyone for the feed back, I'm looking forward to the trip.

I understand, I don't recover as quick as I used to from the 24-36 hours straight through trips we take delivering bulls. Two lane roads can be miserable when pulling a trailer. I second the advice of carry a few spare tires. It seems if I pack the entire shop, I usually don't have problems. :D

slick4591":1igooi8x said:
I went and got my bull 1155 miles away. He had fresh hay and was offered fresh water every time I took a break. He survived just fine.
Curious Slick, did he drink for you on the trailer?? When we travel to Georgia Natl. we go straight thru try not to stop for anything but fuel and they do fine.

I'm glad someone brought this up. A fella up by Missoula, MT is selling out his herd of British Whites. I'm interested in a cow/calf pair, and a friend of mine south of Portland, OR is interested in 2 yearling bulls. Friend is old; his truck and trailer are old. So, we've talked a little about making this a joint effort, at least to get them as far as my place (roughly 400 miles from the seller). My stock trailer is a 16 footer, with divider. My thinking is that the quarters would be pretty cramped with the boys in one section, and the cow/calf in the other. His thinking is that the more cattle are crowded, the better they haul -- that, because it's the way the big haulers do it. (We could do the MT to WA drive in one day; then he'd load the bulls into his trailer parked here to get them to OR.)

What's your thinking?

Kathie- I would think that should work just fine. Close quarters does result in them being dirtier, but will result in much less movement and easier driving. If it is a bumper trailer, load heaviest in front, but you probably already knew that.

Latest posts