Advice on bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Boot Jack I You might need to look into some different genetics. Limi's don't marble like angus but they are out there that do marble. Just got to find them. Seek and you shall find.

Rosielou":2usyz6lu said:
I normally don't trust craigslist but I thought these would be as good of a start as any to start asking advice. I emailed the owner asking if he had a number I could call to ask about them but he hasn't emailed me back so I assume he's had some offers. I thought even if I did not buy one it would help me learn.
http://littlerock.craigslist.org/grd/5127572971.html

I don't mind horns in my herd, I would prefer polled, but my main concern is calving ease. Worst case scenario I would just nub or band the horns in the heifers I would be keeping. Color doesn't bother me either, but a solid bull would be best because I will be selling the calves at the sale barn. I don't really like a birth weight over 75, which I assume could possibly be hard to find in beefmasters? Has the width of their shoulders offered calving problems?

Those two look like garbage. You can find a lot of good Beefmaster bulls with BWs in the 70s and even some in the 60s My bull probably is a mid to high 70s. Shame you are not closer one of the best polled breeders lives right down the road from me.

Thanks for posting those charts guys. I think you can probably find exceptions to any breed. I know the angus Bulls we've had average birth weights under 70.

Thanks Waco. That makes me feel a lot better about the birthweights. I'm looking at others now to hopefully find a polled one. I will tell you what else I find.

Son of Butch":2gdou7vb said:
Red Bull Breeder":2gdou7vb said:
Just for the record the horns don't start to grow till after the calf is born.
Really?!?
My, my well aren't you just a fountain of knowledge Captain Obvious.
Then why haven't you noticed a little round head slides out easier than a little block head?
Jerseys, longhorns, Corrientes, salers, highlands and Watusi...

Muddy":39qbmc2m said:
Son of Butch":39qbmc2m said:
Red Bull Breeder":39qbmc2m said:
Just for the record the horns don't start to grow till after the calf is born.
Really?!?
My, my well aren't you just a fountain of knowledge Captain Obvious.
Then why haven't you noticed a little round head slides out easier than a little block head?
Jerseys, longhorns, Corrientes, salers, highlands and Watusi...
Don't forget Wagyu!

But if you reference original topic, I was saying I would take a polled sire with a 4/10ths of a pound higher birth weight
over a horned sire of the same breed when both have low accuracy epds.
And that the b.w. difference would have to be over one pound on a low accuracy epd bull before I'd pay attention to it.
To which Red Bull Breeder replied, that was a load of crap.

Muddy":n1g91y9u said:
Butch, you don't have any facts to back up with your statement.
No, but I have experience calving many Holsteins and it has been my observation that polled holstein sires calves
heads slide out quicker and easier than horned holstein sires.

I believe it would hold true for all breeds. Calf body shape matters and so does head shape.
I have very little experience with herefords and no experience with brahma, so perhaps someone else could comment
regarding polled vs horned same breed calving ease.

Son of Butch":10rudtfx said:
Muddy":10rudtfx said:
Butch, you don't have any facts to back up with your statement.
No, but I have experience calving many Holsteins and it has been my observation that polled holstein sires calves
heads slide out quicker and easier than horned holstein sires.

I believe it would hold true for all breeds. Calf body shape matters and so does head shape.
I have very little experience with herefords and no experience with brahma, so perhaps someone else could comment
regarding polled vs horned same breed calving ease.
I have not seen that in my dairy herds. I also haven't seen it in beef cattle. Domino 3027 comes to mind. He's near the top of the hereford breed for CED and he's horned.

Just thought I would update this. I put an add up for my bull online and sold him in 3 days. :) I didn't end up buying any of the bulls posted, and I had just about decided to just buy a black brangus bull. I saw an add for registered beefmaster bulls, so I called the guy. He had a 17/18 month old with a low birthweight, so we talked about it and he delivered him today. Price was too good for me to pass up. Papers will be mailed to me in probably 2 weeks on him. Sire is called Easy Money, but I'm not sure on the registration number. The owner told me he would make good fertile heifers with clean udders and feet, which is what I wanted. He passed BSE well with a 90. Sheath is a bit loose and he probably has some other faults, but his feet are good and I like him and am pleased. Good temperament too, was amusing to see the cows check him out.

These are the best pictures I have because he wouldn't be still, but I'm pretty well pleased with him. Born Feb 2014
The picture the owner had sent me.
tumblr_nt9b5jBNaE1rdftrko1_500.jpg

Ones I tried to take of him.
tumblr_nteqpc8sq91rdftrko1_540.jpg

tumblr_nteqpc8sq91rdftrko2_540.jpg

tumblr_nteqpc8sq91rdftrko4_540.jpg

he is a real nice looking bull.whats the name of the breeder that you got him from.i may of heard of them.

Thanks! The guy I bought him from was George Rappold but I think he is kind of joint with his Dad/Grandad. I would have to look again when I'm home because I can't remember right now.

Good looking bull. I like Beefmasters. My dad's last bull was a Beefmaster. I have bought several Beefmaster heifers that I cross with Black Angus bull. They raise my fastest growing calves. Outgrow Angus and Simangus. Hope yours does well for you. You were lucky to find him.

Thanks guys. I think this is the first beefmaster bull that has been in our pastures, but I'm certainly excited to get some calves out of him. From my last bull, black angus, my weaning weights were down of an average of about 50 lbs, but the bull was also a good heifer bull so that's probably why. But weaning weight is a big reason I went with beefmaster. Thanks williams, sounds like those cows are great mommas!

They are some of the best and very protective of their calves. I think you will be pleased. I just bought a beautiful Beefmaster bred heifer in May and my husband bought a deep red cow and her first calf about a month old. She still really keeps up with her calf.

Latest posts