Advice for getting calf up

Help Support CattleToday:

Rosielou

Reaction score
Anyone have any advice for getting a stubborn calf up? :roll: I have a bull calf I need to take to the sale but he just won't go in the corral. He is not skittish, very calm tempered and his momma is probably my gentlest cow so I can lead her anywhere easily with a handful of feed. I have my cows to where they will go in the corral for cubes easily, but sometimes it's like they know I need them up and refuse to cooperate. :? I have had a very easy time so far getting past calves up so I guess it's time for a tough one. Last week I left the momma in over night hoping he would come when he wanted to nurse. He wouldn't go in then, just lingered, so I let her out the next day before I went to the sale. I waited a week to feed them cubes so they would be greedier for them, and I have her up again hoping he decides to go in later today or tomorrow morning. He is still lingering around the corral.
Any other ideas I could try? Thanks.

If they lounge in the corral at night he will come in a lay down with the rest of them. I have a couple of reluctant one sometimes and I have found that they are in the pens during the night time. So I just wait till after dark and shut the gate the next morning they are easy to sort. I also have the water trough in the pens so they have to come in for water when they are in the catch area.

My cattle are gentle so I usually can walk around the calves and end up pushing them into the pen once they are a couple of months old. Babies are different story but will generally follow mom.

He isn't gentle enough to touch, but his momma is. They will lounge around the corral and the most of the rest of them are a piece of cake to call up but he decided not to go in the past couple of times I've tried to get them up. He is almost 8 months so I really would like to get him up. He doesn't seem interested in feed or salt like the rest of my cows and it's a bit irritating. He will come up to me on the fourwheeler but he won't follow it like the others either. I'll try go out before dark or wait until next morning and see if he's anywhere around the corral and try to walk him in. The funny thing is my grandfather and I agreed he would be an easy one :roll: Thanks for the advice.
tumblr_n8cyyc45ep1rdftrko1_500.jpg

Latest posts