Advantix or Frontline?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
Fleas are bad this year and I ordered some stuff off of 1-800-pet meds. Anyone ever use Advantix? How does it compare with Frontline? I ordered the Advantix because it says it repels mosquitoes, as well, and Lexi and Cole spend a lot of time outdoors.

Just wondered if anyone has used it and if they were pleased with the results?

I use advantix seems to work better but i think it costs more, must work a tick crawled off the dog on to me monday

I use K9Advantix on all my dogs, it works really well, better than anything else I've tried. (Which is just about everything, lol.) The next time you have to order it though you should check out drsfostersmith.com. Their prices are way cheaper! I buy the over 55lbs 6-pack and it's twenty dollars cheaper than petmeds. I've been ordering from them for years and never had a problem.

Natural_State":qcz8k09a said:
I use K9Advantix on all my dogs, it works really well, better than anything else I've tried. (Which is just about everything, lol.) The next time you have to order it though you should check out drsfostersmith.com. Their prices are way cheaper! I buy the over 55lbs 6-pack and it's twenty dollars cheaper than petmeds. I've been ordering from them for years and never had a problem.

That is fantastic news. I used to get that catalog when I first registered Cole, but have not received it in several months. I will most def. try that in future. That is a significant savings.

My experience is that they both work pretty well for a while, but you need to switch off between them every now and then to get the best effect. Seems like the fleas kind of build up a resistance to each one over time.

Feeding a little garlic suppliment helps, too.

Never have used Advantix. Frontline is good but expensive. I usually get Biospot or whatever is in the feed store. They don't work for as long so I use them every 3 weeks.

Yeah, I used Biospot last year and I will probably use it to treat the house. They make a good carpet treatment and powder. The over the counter stuff isn't doing anything to the dogs this year, though. I had to get the heavy guns.

Advantix is in my opinion the better product, but also more expensive here. My dog is allergic to frontline so that leaves me with very little option except for flea collars. The collars work well in winter, but in summer Knersie swims everyday ruining the collar.

Have also tried frontline+ in the past as its supposed to kill the flea eggs as well. Can't say that I've seen any results from that though

wablacktoplady":3i7zruaa said:
If you bath your pets try Dawn dish soap supposed to kill 'em dead.

Thanks, and wow, what an interesting name! You must share the origins of it!

Got the Advantix in the mail and it worked right away. I am very pleased with it.

My husband moves oversize loads and I drive a pilot car for him and also hire out. I also run a small farm, he's not much help he's a city boy, I mostly raise pigs. A farrowing operation here in washington state, hence the wa in the blacktoplady. I love to have baby pigs running around everywhere, cute as puppies and kittens, but a bit more lucretive. I hsve had as many as 90 running around. Don't make a lot but I try to keep the kids in pigs for 4H and fair. I think raising the animal teaches so much and makes some fun for me. Oversize piloting has been extra slow this year so pigs are most of my business right now.

Cool. I understand your name now! I like to know the origins of the user names as they are usually interesting. Great imagination!

Baby pigs are cute! I can relate as I have miniature donkeys. I am sure that pigs are much more lucrative!

I used to raise pigs, and they paid my way through college, but you couldn't pay me to go back into them like I used to raise them.

I tried bio spot, spot on this spring. I don't think it works quite as well as the advantage, or the front line.

I used the Biospot, total waste of money, didn't do anything. Switched to Frontline, no ticks, worked wonders. At the vet I go to, I can buy a large dog dose, and take a syringe, and they have calculated how much to take out of the other packets for a dose for smaller dogs, this way I don't have to buy other packages for the other dogs, cheaper and easier.

GMN

Gail, same here....Biospot only blistered my dogs skin where it was applied. Front line works fine. We tried another supposedly "New and improved type" and it almost killed our dog. She lost weight, was listless and her hair was dry and dull....switched back to Frontline and she looked like her old self in 30 days. I think we use Revolution on the cat.

Advantix has the same ingredient as Advantage - Imidacloprid, but Advantix also contains Permethrin for ticks and mosquito control. Frontline contains the ingredient Fipronil (more toxic than imidacloprid, but also kills ticks ). All three kill fleas instantly. Advantage is less toxic for animals. Program and Revolution are also good products. Everything else is a waste of money.

ToddFarmsInc":yr73savp said:
I used to raise pigs, and they paid my way through college, but you couldn't pay me to go back into them like I used to raise them.

:lol2: Todd, don't understand, a couple thousand pigs when times are good can make you what, a hundred dollars maybe two? Have to admit, lucky we gave em up in the early eighties instead of expanding.

wablacktoplady":169czrko said:
If you bath your pets try Dawn dish soap supposed to kill 'em dead.

Head & Shoulders Dandruff Shampoo will kill the fleas incredibly well. I found that out by accident before the days of Frontline. My dogs were driving me and themselves crazy scratching so I grabbed the head and shoulders since that was the shampoo no one used much. Fleas just rolled over and died - quick.
Makes you a little wary of using the stuff on your own head. :)

Latest posts