adjusted 205 day average

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Could someone explain to me what is an adjusted average? Does it add or take away pounds? I kinda get suspicious everytime I see adjusted.

Try this link it explains it quite well.
http://www.albcia.com/documents/informa ... Cattle.pdf

Weighing Cows and Calves
Performance test guidelines recommend calves be weighed when they are close to 205 days of age. The accepted age range is 160 to 250 days of age. Weighing calves less than 160 days of age will cause an over-estimation of adjusted weaning weights. Weighing calves over 250 days of age will result in under estimation of adjusted weaning weights. Therefore, data from calves outside the age range is not figured into the herd average. An additional weigh day may be necessary if the herd is on a split calving season or on an extended calving season.
It is recommended to also weigh the cows at the same time the calves are weighed. The cow weight will be used to identify which cows wean a high percentage of their body weight. Generally, cows that wean a high percentage of their body weight are more efficient and profitable than cows that wean a low percentage of their body weight.

There is alot more info so check out the link.

hillsdown":26j9pzza said:
Generally, cows that wean a high percentage of their body weight are more efficient and profitable than cows that wean a low percentage of their body weight.
This is true but you have to keep the BCS in mind at the same time.

The actual age of my calves at weigh, wean and fall working yesterday ranged from 197 to 218 days. They were all weaned on the same day. The adjustment either adds or subtracts an average daily gain times the number of days they are from actual 205 days of age.

It would be very misleading to compare the unadjusted weaning weights of calves that are likely to vary considerably in age at the time of weaning. Mine are unusually tightly grouped. Most herds vary much more in actual age of calves at weaning time. The adjustment is very important to accurately compare cow and calf performance.

205 days is the standard age for weaning measurements. Adjusted weaning weights means, as I understand it, the actual weight is corrected for the age difference from 205 days so that calves can be compared on a more equal basis. jmho.

Jim

novatech":2iwlrm7o said:
hillsdown":2iwlrm7o said:
Generally, cows that wean a high percentage of their body weight are more efficient and profitable than cows that wean a low percentage of their body weight.
This is true but you have to keep the BCS in mind at the same time.

That was just a quote form the link, they go into all of that and much more; it is a pretty simplified but good explanation of how and why adjusted averages are used.

Latest posts