Adam or Ponderosa Trailers

Help Support CattleToday:

Robby

Reaction score
Looking at a new Adam or Ponderosa livestock trailer. Anyone had any experience with either of these brands? All responses are welcome.

Yep, I saw that site, but couldn't find another complaint about Ponderosa. The only negatives I could find is that they are cheap, but that's why they are in the $4300 range.

Subsoil":1m1q0izm said:
I'd check out this site prior to buying a ponderosa. Granted, it's one unhappy customer but from the post, they have good reasons to be upset.

http://www.yellowstone.ws/ponderosatrailers.html

That's funny. Tell us how you really feel!

Neighbor had a Ponderosa, rusted out quick. Wife has a Adam horse trailer, very cheap made. Metal is thin, rusts bad. It's worth the extra change to get a little nicer trailer if you can afford it.

cfpinz

Not familiar with Adam Trailers, but I have a Ponderosa that I bought used. The previous owner was very particular about hosing it out after each use. I have continued to do so, also. Every time I hose it out, I watch rusted steel break off and get washed out. Ponderosa's have a bad reputation for rusting out. Local dealer quit selling them based on the rust factor and now sells Calico Trailers. He claims that they are a much superior brand.

I looked at Ponderosa and to me there does not seem to be much support for the floor. They depend on the tongue and groove wood for some strength, not good in my opinion.

We bought a used Travelong it is a lot heavier frame although I think a better job could be done with the sheetmetal. It pulls real good. I looked at Calico and they seem to be a little better than Ponderosa. Another brand I did look at and like was Corn Pro.

From my experience I would not be afraid of the Travelong.

I have a Ponderosa tagalong. Kept it clean and under a shed. On the 10th year I saw the rust starting and decided to take the floor up and take care of the problem. Big surprise when I pulled the floor out. There were only two boards in the trailer that were pressure treated wood and those two were in the nose of the trailer. The rest were regular pine. They were still solid except the ends and they were so rotten it's a wonder I didn't have a cow or calves to break through.

I used a pressure washer sandblaster to remove all rust under the floor and against the walls. Left enough light rust for a rust converter paint to stick to good. Put 4 coats of that and 2 coats of galvanize/zinc and roll on bed liner over those coats of paint. Then put a new floor in that's pressure treated pine.

Been 4 years and nothing has gone through the bed liner yet. Stopped the rust by sealing it up. Hope to get many more years out of it now. Don't know about all Ponderosa trailers but mine had regular pine. Not a good deal there at all.

My trailer had southern yellow pine (non-treated) flooring that was tongue and groove. I replaced with treated pine 2x6's. The supports are 1/8x1" steel strapping. I screwed 2x6 runners lengthways under the floor. It did a lot to take the bounce out of the floor.

J. T.":27hyfmgf said:
My trailer had southern yellow pine (non-treated) flooring that was tongue and groove. I replaced with treated pine 2x6's. The supports are 1/8x1" steel strapping. I screwed 2x6 runners lengthways under the floor. It did a lot to take the bounce out of the floor.

That's a good idea. Thanks for the tip.

Latest posts