acclimating to fescue

Help Support CattleToday:

City Guy

Reaction score
What is the best way to move cattle born outside the fescue belt into the fescue belt and acclimate them?

I actually went through this process recently after purchasing some bulls from SE Texas. We put them in a dry lot for 30 days and fed fescue mixed grass hay and some grain. The vet told us the hay isn't as toxic as the fresh grass and would acclimate them slowly. Worked well for us.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :banana: :banana: :banana:
the grass you gota love to hate it !
you forgot a pickup truck Kingfisher !
you need to be able to pull it !!
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

One thing to keep in mind is that not all animals will acclimate to the stuff no matter how you try to gradually get them used to it. Hay for starters is good, but in the long run, diluting the stuff with clover or other grasses works better over time.

I knew some one would say trailer!! I'm laughing right along with ya'.

Would bringing back a couple bales of their native hay to mix with the fescue hay be of any benefit? Also, what about pregnant females? Seems to me there might be more risk with them. What about the time of year, any season better than the others?

It would take a lot more than a couple of bales. You would need to have enough to mix probably about 50:50 for 6 months to a year. We cheat, any time we have bought cows in the past most of them came from the fescue belt. The few that didn;t had a really hard time for the first year or 2, then they fell right in with the others.

Thanx all, But I nearly forgot--since the tolerance is a learned condition, what about buying embryos from out side and using tolerant recips?

City Guy":3ouihv8w said:
Thanx all, But I nearly forgot--since the tolerance is a learned condition, what about buying embryos from out side and using tolerant recips?

Not a learned condition. More like conditioning the cows metabolism to handle the toxins. Studies are in progress that suggest there is also a genetic factor.

You could employ recipient cows that are tolerant, but the use of ET is NOT widespread in strict commercial operations.

Bring them in kick them out on fescue and don't look back. The ones that look pretty decent a year later will make the ones that look like warmed over death won't. A real good mineral with CTC will help as much as any thing I know off. All the pampering and other stuff is just prolonging the end result.

Red Bull Breeder":pg1cf00c said:
Bring them in kick them out on fescue and don't look back. The ones that look pretty decent a year later will make the ones that look like warmed over death won't. A real good mineral with CTC will help as much as any thing I know off. All the pampering and other stuff is just prolonging the end result.

What does CTC do? It is an antibiotic, I say that just for the record, I am fully aware you know that. Fescue toxicity is metabolic. Not doubting your knowledge but do you have an explanation why an antibiotic would help? Thanks.

RBB: here is something I found regarding my question.

Here is the link. A University of Tennessee study.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... OWkYVk19Xg

The exact level of supplemental minerals that is appropriate for your operation depends upon the
mineral composition of your forages. In order to design the most appropriate mineral
supplementation program, conduct a forage analysis and consult your county Extension agent
and/or nutritionist for guidance. Many mineral supplements marketed for cattle grazing tall
fescue are medicated with chlortetracycline (CTC). However, the benefits associated with
feeding CTC to cattle grazing tall fescue are a function of its normal effects on average daily
gain and feed efficiency, which are independent of management setting. Thus, CTC does
nothing to specifically combat fescue toxicosis. The resulting improvements in performance are
a function of CTC's role as a growth promotant rather than mitigation of fescue toxicosis.

Additionally, avoid feeding trace mineralized salt in place of a free-choice mineral supplement,
as it does not contain a sufficient amount of minerals to meet beef cattle requirements in almost
all forage-based production scenarios. Never "cut" a commercially-manufactured free-choice
mineral supplement with salt to reduce consumption. Free-choice consumption is generally
proportional to the mineral needs of the animal. Limiting consumption with the addition of salt
may lead to mineral deficiencies that could worsen the degree of toxicosis, or result in other
costly metabolic conditions.

It seems to help keep the blood flow to the extremities. Which will keep them from losing tails and helps with feet problems due to poor circulation. I have used it and still do. I am sure some study some where will say it doesn't help but it has worked for me.

Red Bull Breeder":2kn8jcb3 said:
It seems to help keep the blood flow to the extremities. Which will keep them from losing tails and helps with feet problems due to poor circulation. I have used it and still do. I am sure some study some where will say it doesn't help but it has worked for me.

RBB, I read that study. It does help. Due to the vasoconstrictions, they tend to get infections so the CTC would combat that. Thanks for bringing that information to the board.

inyati13":1is31qwf said:
Red Bull Breeder":1is31qwf said:

What does CTC do? It is an antibiotic, I say that just for the record, I am fully aware you know that. Fescue toxicity is metabolic. Not doubting your knowledge but do you have an explanation why an antibiotic would help? Thanks.
The purpose of CTC is to prevent/mitigate the loss of natural resistance. Sort of a preventative of illness getting worse. Poorly worded, just can;t think of the right words now.

Does the CTC have to be a permanent part of the diet or can it be discontinued once the animal builds it's own tolerance?

Latest posts