Accidental oxytetracycline OD - implications and withdrawl?

Help Support CattleToday:

remsteel6

Reaction score
Ok. I've really screwed up this time. I was in a hurry
and accidentally gave my calves 10X the oxytetracycline
called for on the label to treat shipping fever. (Feed additive)

By the time I had realized the error they had pretty
much cleaned up the feeder....what was left I did remove however.

Anyone had any experience with a similar situation?

Can I expect any adverse effects? I am really concerned with killing the rumen microorganisms.

Any ideas what kind of withdrawl times I'm looking at.

Thanks

What strength did you use and how much did you use? What size calf are we talking about? As far as a similar situation, yes I have, can't remember what or when , but I have. We are all human and at some point do something just like this. As far as rumen bugs if they are still eating ok I wouldn't worry about that.

Larry

I don't know about the effects over doseing thru feed.

But if it was injected at 10x the dose---they would be alright.

If I understand it clearly from my vet?
He stated the withdrawal time will not change because of an overdose, whatever is given as overdose will go out the back door as the body will only consume so much????!!!! :?:

Thanks all for your responses. As soon as I realized my mistake I went and cleaned out all the feeders. The smaller calves 7-800 lbs had already cleaned it up, but I was most concerned about the steers almost ready for market next month. Thanks for your help.
All seem fine BTW, never even saw any diarrhea.

I would double check with your vet on the withdrawl time of an OD. It does change the timeframe. Wouldn't want to get fined for selling contaminated meat after all that.

RR

Latest posts