Abcess on belly

Help Support CattleToday:

garnetann

Reaction score
Our bull has what looks like an abscess on his tummy, just inside his flank. About the size of a tennis ball. We got him in the chute yesterday, but it was late so we decided to wait and doctor him in a couple days when it cools down and in the daylight. My question is do abscesses rupture by themselves, or will we have to lance it for sure? I think if we can get him in the chute and calm, we should be able to take care of it, but he is a big boy and I hate to make him mad. But I want to give him a shot of penicillin anyway. What do you think?

garnetann":9qezeq2v said:
Our bull has what looks like an abscess on his tummy, just inside his flank. About the size of a tennis ball. We got him in the chute yesterday, but it was late so we decided to wait and doctor him in a couple days when it cools down and in the daylight. My question is do abscesses rupture by themselves, or will we have to lance it for sure? I think if we can get him in the chute and calm, we should be able to take care of it, but he is a big boy and I hate to make him mad. But I want to give him a shot of penicillin anyway. What do you think?

I wouldn't cut into it unless I was sure it was an abscess. You can stick a hypo into it and draw back to see what comes out, if it's blood leave it alone, if it's pus, go ahead an lance it and clean it out good with some antiseptic. Hopefully other more knowledgeable folks will weigh in on this for you.

If I see one in an out of the way place like that, I tend to practice "benign neglect" - I keep an eye on it - especially on a bull. If he's breeding cows right now I'd probably pull him in so it doesn't interfere with that based on where the abscess is - otherwise I'd watch. If he starts getting droopy, not eating, or not keeping up with herd, then I act. Most abscesses I've had have opened on their own when they're ready without putting me or them through the trauma of the chute. Also, I don't tend to give antibiotics unless there's a fever. I prefer to let mother nature have a shot at it before I get in there - she usually knows what she's doing better than I.

But that's just my opinion.