A Young Cow, Though Lame and Halt

Help Support CattleToday:

:) Well, they are laid back ... except for one of the big ones in my herd. She'll climb in the pickup with me if she thinks she can get more range cubes!

CowboyBlue":x3cf1qh6 said:
:) Well, they are laid back ... except for one of the big ones in my herd. She'll climb in the pickup with me if she thinks she can get more range cubes!
But does she do it FAST or sloooooowly

ALACOWMAN

At this juncture the animal could be worth $6 to $8 hundred if she can walk into a processing plant. If she goes down she will have a disposal fee that will be a negative. The owner seems opposed to a vet fee, so would I. If she recovers for now, there is no reason the think the problem will not resurface. To me, there isn't much of a coin toss here if one is in the business as a business.

I have one that sound very similar to yours. She was about 6 weeks and thought mabe the calf was on a nerve. She would get up and down with a little trouble, but wouldn't walk. After a couple of days of taking food and water to her we backed a trailer up to her and rolled her in it to seperate her from the other cows. She got where she would move slowly and drag her both front and back leg on her left side. I was hoping it would improve after calving, but she still drags her back left foot, but she motivates fine otherwise.

agmantoo":39ajr3a8 said:
ALACOWMAN

At this juncture the animal could be worth $6 to $8 hundred if she can walk into a processing plant. If she goes down she will have a disposal fee that will be a negative. The owner seems opposed to a vet fee, so would I. If she recovers for now, there is no reason the think the problem will not resurface. To me, there isn't much of a coin toss here if one is in the business as a business.

Admittedly, that is one of my problems ... My cows have become my pets, and not my business ... :? :roll:

before the dragging her hoof did she ever walk with a jerking motion in her leg?..i had one that had a slight hitch in her step for the first few steps and then would get along fairly well...it was not very noticable...then the day after working all the cows and calves, this particular cow showed up very lame, had to drag her bad leg..could only move it at the hip...swing it up under herself and then vome on...she followed the herd and raised a nice calf, but i couldn't stand to see her move with so much difficulty, especially in the extreme heat...

xbred":3jhovzz5 said:
before the dragging her hoof did she ever walk with a jerking motion in her leg?..i had one that had a slight hitch in her step for the first few steps and then would get along fairly well...it was not very noticable...then the day after working all the cows and calves, this particular cow showed up very lame, had to drag her bad leg..could only move it at the hip...swing it up under herself and then vome on...she followed the herd and raised a nice calf, but i couldn't stand to see her move with so much difficulty, especially in the extreme heat...

No, sir, there is not a hitch in her get-along that I can see; just the slowness and the dragging of the hoofs. She gets there, like your cow, but it is painful for me to watch.

Latest posts