A Serious Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

JebidiahJones

Reaction score
OK, 1st, Do new mothers eat the placenta after giving birth? 2nd, Would they take the placenta somewhere else after giving birth? 3rd, Would one cow try to forcefully "adopt" a calf from another cow?

Here's the story, tell me what yall think. I came home from work and went to feed the cows and the horse. When I put the feed out for the cows, ( the feed pen guard cow) the one that is always there waiting for me wasn't there. I knew something was up. I went looking for her and she was at the bank of the back pond chewing on some membrane. I watched her for a bit until I noticed a calf hiding in the bushes. When I got close enough to tell it was our other calf ( we only have one), she mooed at me and started coming. Well, I backed off of course. She then proceeded to call to the calf and made him come back to her and she laid him back down. Now, the other cow, the real mother Called for her calf and he got up and ran to her. The "guard cow" got mad at the real mother and tried to chase her away. We went looking but could not find another calf.

Sorry if it's confusing.

I can answer some of the question but am new to cattle too. Well been doing Reg Angus for 2 years now Anyway yes new mothers will eat the after birth, 2 Ive never heard of a mother moving it they usually eat it so no animals will be attracted to them and third I really dont know about a guard cow stealing a baby I guess it is possible Hope I helped. Interesting none the less

what has happened is that the boss cow stole the new mommas calf so you need to pen the new mom an calf so the calf can suck b/c the boss cow will keep the calf from sucking an calf end up starving to death scott

bigbull338":yk3q8l7g said:
what has happened is that the boss cow stole the new mommas calf so you need to pen the new mom an calf so the calf can suck b/c the boss cow will keep the calf from sucking an calf end up starving to death scott

Agree. I had a cow that took the first calf it saw when it gave birth. Had to milk her by hand to feed her calf colostrum and then fed the calf out on milk replacer. The next year the same thing happened. That time she tried to take a month old calf. Milked colostrum from her again. Bottle fed the calf. Shipped the cow.

I have also seen older cows eat another cow's afterbirth as well.

We've never had that problem with our Longhorns. We always pen the expectant cow a week or 10 days before expected due date by herself. Keep mama & new calf in the pen for week or two before integrating they back into their own herd.

Our other cows, heifers, and yes even one of our bulls (with his female herd) will babysit calves periodically. Calves real mama always knows & comes to her own calf & will chase other mama's calves away. Even had one or two of our 1-3 month old calves lay up next to our senior bull (1780#) in pasture.

Latest posts