A question for Texans

Help Support CattleToday:

Fly-guy":xmwk8rmf said:
Is the Lexington a must visit for some special reason or are you just looking for a ship to take a tour on?

The ship holds no special attachment for me, I don't know anyone that served on her or anything. I was always fascinated with carriers as a child and now I just want to finally see one in person.

cb, this is one thing that I enjoy about this board, it turns into a history lesson sometimes. :tiphat:

mill, enjoy your visit to Texas! I think that you will discover that Texans are very proud of their state and rightfully so because they fought hard for it with blood sweat and tears. That would be a heavy emphasis on blood. There are several movies about the battle for the Alamo and Texas and are a history lesson in themselves.

millstreaminn, if you get hungry as you travel south on 59, a little ways past the town of El Campo you'll see Prasek's Hilljie Smokehouse on the right hand side of the highway. It is a good place to stop for some real good meats and other vittles, although maybe a bit pricey. www.praseks.com

I've cheated a little bit and hired a local guide to take me around. I'll feel a lot more at ease with someone else worrying about traffic etc. I still plan to drive myself from Houston to Corpus Christi, though.

millstreaminn":21gwff70 said:
I've cheated a little bit and hired a local guide to take me around. I'll feel a lot more at ease with someone else worrying about traffic etc. I still plan to drive myself from Houston to Corpus Christi, though.

I hope like heII it wasn't TB he is lost as a goose most of the time.

have a safe and wonderful trip mill
we will expect an update when you return

starbaby":2c7rgeme said:
have a safe and wonderful trip mill
we will expect an update when you return

That won't be a problem. I know how you people just love to admire my picture taking skills... :roll:

What's the general weather gonna be like (I know, its a loaded question) in the Houston- Galviston area mid March? Surely will be warmer than the -16 I had in northern Pa this morning... :yuck:
I know some guys that live around the Gulf and work up here in the gas fields. They say 45 degrees down there is WAY colder than 45 up here.

Here is as far as I could get on Intellicast. The weather here changes about every 5 minutes this time of year. :tiphat:

Thursday, March 06

Partly Cloudy 63°

44°
Rise: 6:42 AM Set: 6:24 PM Rise: 10:16 AM Set: 12:01 AM
Partly cloudy. Highs in the low 60s and lows in the mid 40s.
UV Index: 7 (High)
Relative Humidity: 71%
Precipitation: 10%
Snow Probability: 0%
Cloud Coverage: 62%
Moon Phase: Waxing Crescent
Wind Speed: 14Mph (23Km, 12Kts)
Wind Direction: 343° (NNW)
Friday, March 07

Mostly Sunny 72°

55°
Rise: 6:40 AM Set: 6:25 PM Rise: 11:02 AM Set: 12:05 AM
More sun than clouds. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the mid 50s.
Relative Humidity: 75%
Precipitation: 0%
Cloud Coverage: 28%
Moon Phase: Waxing Crescent
Wind Speed: 10Mph (16Km, 9Kts)
Wind Direction: 181° (S)
Saturday, March 08

Partly Cloudy 65°

45°
Rise: 6:39 AM Set: 6:25 PM Rise: 11:49 AM Set: 12:57 AM
Times of sun and clouds. Highs in the mid 60s and lows in the mid 40s.
Relative Humidity: 77%
Precipitation: 30%
Cloud Coverage: 55%
Moon Phase: First Quarter
Wind Speed: 10Mph (16Km, 9Kts)
Wind Direction: 353° (N)
Sunday, March 09

Partly Cloudy 63°

46°
Rise:

Caustic Burno":18x0br7l said:
millstreaminn":18x0br7l said:

No way in he// I"m going to drive someone else in Houston. I avoid the place like a plague at all times. Course I"m like that with about any town over about 5,000 population and try to stay on Farm to Market roads as much as possible............And YES I would definitely be lost.

TexasBred":xvkkkqt1 said:
Caustic Burno":xvkkkqt1 said:
millstreaminn":xvkkkqt1 said:

No way in he// I"m going to drive someone else in Houston. I avoid the place like a plague at all times. Course I"m like that with about any town over about 5,000 population and try to stay on Farm to Market roads as much as possible............And YES I would definitely be lost.

TB it is not bad in a SUV or a truck and I drive it regularly to some grandkid event. Timing is everything in Houston.
You do not want to pull a cattle trailer through there carrying a new herd bull. Trust me.
There is not enough Valium for the trip with all the people driving high top tennis shoe cars whipping in and out.
The next bull I buy from out west I will go north to Conroe or Huntsville and take Hwy 105 or 190 east.

CB many years ago I had to attend a 2 week appraisal school at the University of Houston. Both times I missed my exit and ended up on the campus of Texas Southern University. Looked like I was in downtown Mogadishu. :lol:

TexasBred":3k3tjnbd said:
CB many years ago I had to attend a 2 week appraisal school at the University of Houston. Both times I missed my exit and ended up on the campus of Texas Southern University. Looked like I was in downtown Mogadishu. :lol:

You were in more danger when you hit the exit ramp.

Caustic Burno":2ibgry5y said:
You do not want to pull a cattle trailer through there carrying a new herd bull. Trust me.
There is not enough Valium for the trip with all the people driving high top tennis shoe cars whipping in and out.
The next bull I buy from out west I will go north to Conroe or Huntsville and take Hwy 105 or 190 east.
Forget 105 and Conroe. That lake area west of Conroe and the I45/105 intersection area in Conroe is bumper to bumper any work day and most weekends. I-45 just N of Conroe is Construction City.
Go North.
I used to take 105 to Navasota and 6 North when I would go to Bryan Co-op. Never again.
I take 150 to New Waverly, jump on 45 to Huntsville then 30 to Bryan/College Station. A nice easy drive day or night-weekday or weekend.

Latest posts