A Pondering by Beefy

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
I often wonder how people know i'm working cows and why they choose that time to come visit. can they not see that i'm busy? why dont they just leave and come back another time rather than getting in the way (especially when i'm trying to catch cows) and then talking forever.

Beefy, I have often wondered those same things . I try to put myself in their place and suffer it as well as I can .There are some people I won't tolerate though . I just tell them I have to get back to work or I never stop in the first place . As far as coming back later you'll probably be busy then too .
Just my thoughts for what it's worth .

Larry

As my friends neice once told her," You ranchers have it great, visiting and drinking beer all day."
She changed her tune when she went to work for them one summer. I won't go into great detail, but it involved horses, haying, branding and other regular things.

My parent don't visit anymore unless they have to, because there is no such thing as a day off.
So until those people get it do what we did, put them to work. Hold the tail gets them on their way rather quickly. Branding smoke makes them leave fast also. Hand them a pitchfork and a dirty barn.

I always put visitors to work when I am out working with the animals. Sometimes though I am looking for an excuse to be done for awhile (especially when doing fencing or cleaning barn), and am glad when someone pulls in the driveway.

They always want to stop when I am baling hay. I just wave and keep on going. They NEVER show up when I am working cows.

beefy thats because your neighbord have a beefy radar.that says beefy is rea busy so lets go bugg him.when that happens here i usually keep working.an talk when i can.esp if they dont take the hint an leave.

Beefy":11iy3nti said:
I often wonder how people know i'm working cows and why they choose that time to come visit. can they not see that i'm busy? why dont they just leave and come back another time rather than getting in the way (especially when i'm trying to catch cows) and then talking forever.

I have been there every head flies up when they smell a strage armpit, and everything that was going nice and easy just went out the window. I have went to locking the gates my good neighbors have keys. It stops the causual passer by who is more than curious and want's to BS. Or the idiot wanting directions the road forks about a mile before the house and people dont read very well. You would be surprised at the people who pull up looking for directions.

A fiend stopped by a couple days ago [town guy] I was moving a heifer inside to calve. Anyway didn't need help but he jumped right in. So she's inside all is well, I say close the door, he says I'll stand here. :roll: I'm working her back to a pen. The heifer decides she wants back outside starts for the door and my town friend quickly jumps out of the way. :mad: But I was nice said lets go have a cup I'll get her later. :cowboy:

When my husband was working for himself at home people used to stop by and just talk and talk. I got mad about it because his time was money. I don't think people realize this.

most people who stop have learned just to wait until we're done. i dont ever remembering stopping what we're doing to visit with someone. theres more important things most of the time.

john250":236dc8w3 said:
The folks who (rarely) come by here, know how to work cattle.

If they can read the extra fine print on all those med bottles, they're good for something.

I was looking at a herbicide bottle today that had a half acre of real estate on it. Page after page of fine print precautions. I never did find the directions I was looking for. Put it back on the shelf when I spotted something I was familiar with.

backhoeboogie":3iqpt41h said:
If they can read the extra fine print on all those med bottles,

I have to mark it on the bottle wih a Sharpe after my wife reads it to me or i put on some glasses.

I guess I'm lucky. I seem to have pi$$ed everyone off to the point that no one comes to visit. Oh yeah,...except the county electrical inspector who invited himself into my new shop....but I don't think he will be back anytime soon either......

Angus/Brangus":3ilr6xv1 said:
Beefy":3ilr6xv1 said:

I like it better when they drive up with a car full of kids who proceed to jump out and then up on the corral fence in their white t-shirts as I'm trying to separate cows. :mad: :drink:

I like it best when they drive up with a car full of kids who proceed to jump out then climb up on the fences . . . electric fences :lol2:

When we are working and we hear someone come up the driveway (cos the dogs bark) we stay down at the yards working . . . figure the serious visitors (as in, the ones that we know well) will come down and find us . . . if they make the effort to come all the way down to the yards to find us then we say come on up to the house we will have a coffee and a slice of cake.

Latest posts