A.I. Angus Bulls of 06

Help Support CattleToday:

la4angus":3ek1gzux said:
la4angus":3ek1gzux said:
hey, la4angus...do you have a picture of First Edition? I'd love to see one if you don't mind sharing.
Maybe a little more than you asked for. The first pic is of him as a 2 yr old.. The next pic is of a son of his that was Angus Intermediate Champion and Intermediate Reserve Champion at The All American Futurity and NAILE respectively.
[/quote]

What kind of BW epd does he have and more importantly has people had any success using him on heifers?

He has a 4.9 BW EPD and I don't know of any of any of the partners that has had any trouble with First Callf hfrs calving to him. Also to my knowledge we have all bred him to first calvers.

My partner is breeding all the heifers to Hinman Angus Image Maker again this year....Bred heifers to him last year and this year had over 70 heifers calve with only one assist and that was a calf that was coming breech and had been dead for days in the cow- still an easy pull (but stinky).....70-85lb birth weights that came easy on their own.....

BA":ja593elr said:
No I wouldn't use him again, but I'm not saying he was terrible, just not what I'm looking for.

Arugh! I have two cows due to be in tomorrow, and the choices my AI guy gave me for Black Angus is Strategy and 'something that's about the same quality, but from another source'. Both of these cows are big, ole wide tanks, so a little bit of refinement shouldn't hurt 'em none if that's all he might hurt, but still... :-(

It might be too late for these two gals this year, but I thought I read a thread about something going on at the Georgia National Fairgrounds sometime soon? If so, could anyone that attends this event PM me and let me know what's happening up there, and if there might be some GOOD bull semen for sale? Since none of my cows are papered and I am still (re)searching as to which direction I want to take, I'm open to several breeds.... 'tho what I'd really like is to find some good Murray Grey semen, because that is the breed that peaks my interest the most. I have a couple of tanks and could make a day trip up to Georgia....

T

Why not put Holstein semen in them instead?

I am not sure what the difference is.

They calve easy but after that I would just not want to see them again. They are very refined, narrow, tight hided pukes. I am sorry to say he is an Angus bull.

Most any other choice would be better than Strategy! I would rather use a New Design over him, if you know how I don't like ND cattle you will appreciate that comment.

AI Companies are supposed to be selling bulls that are supposed to make a positive impact on the breed. Strategy is exactly the kind of bull that is hurting the Angus breed. He is a curve bender but when you hang his calves on the rail, there is nothing there.
Just brutal!

I have had really thick, nice, long-bodied bull calves by TC Freedom, Bando 0699, Objective T510, and Hunts Calculator. The New Frontier calves are not as eye catching at this point but my 3 top selling bulls this year were by him. For the most part, I plan on using New Frontier and Bando 0699 for the cows and Objective T510 for the hfrs. I'll use, to a lesser degree, newer bulls such as Charge On, MYTTY In Focus, and Ideal 4355 on a few head.

this year we had purebred calves from new designs 208 and 5050 and GAR Yield Grade. All had birthweights 75lbs or less out of second calvers. One only weighed 52lbs out of a small cow- but is growing good and is ahead of the rest of them since a month older.Her heifer calf last year wieghed 64lbs and weaned at 644lbs. here is a pic of that lightweight calf sired by 5050.

spring2006cattlepics014.jpg
[/img]

This year we are planning on breeding a few to gridmaker and the heifers probably to rito 2x15- although some of his calves that were half simmy were too big- pulled out pretty hard. but i dont think it will be a problem with the purebreds.

Dan.

SEC":2lsvdis4 said:
Frankie, have you used Strategy before?

Have you ever seen the bull?
If you haven't take a puke pail when you go to see him.

We bought Strategy to use on heifers one year. We wound up selling the heifers, so I didn't see any of the calves. The buyers all seemed satisfied. A friend used him quite a bit and got several heifers. She seems satisfied with them.

Seen some strategy sons sell on RFD today, they didn't look bad and numbers weren't that bad. But weren't too popular with the buyers.

I am just about to finish calving out a dozen Gar Commitment heifers to a son of Connealy Freightliner. The heifers have had no problems calving. Calves weigh around 70 lbs and are very long and leggy. I am just about ready to wean 27 fall calves out of a High Prime OH29 son.He also has about 20 spring baby calves on the ground and I am having no calving problems with him either. I would not be afraid to breed heifers to either one of these bulls, Freightliner or OH29. The Freightliner calves are black as coal and the OH29 calves seem to show a little red hair untill they shed their calf hair. Hope this helps.

Frankie, I have to think if the cattle weren't very popular with the buyers then they weren't the right kind. Not in that area anyways.

I guess expectancy level also matters.

Oops, image maker and bando 1961 are the two I'm asking about.
Anyone out there used these two at all? What did you think of the calves. Also would be interested in what Oldtimer thought of the image maker calves and what the females look like now. Thanks

I'm bumping this thread in hopes of getting more info on HA Image Maker. Looks like a really nice outcross, someone please comment on his offspring. Thanks.

Good honest cattle, moderate birth, lots of growth. Sons are easy to find, with some muscle and body. Good bulls.

Daughters are flat excellent, wedge shaped, rib and capacity and that look of a cow in them. Great Udders as well.

Might be one of the underrated bulls in the breed.

capt":361jk2zr said:
Oops, image maker and bando 1961 are the two I'm asking about.
Anyone out there used these two at all? What did you think of the calves. Also would be interested in what Oldtimer thought of the image maker calves and what the females look like now. Thanks

They are still kind of young, but so far, I really like the looks of the Image Maker calves-- all out of heifers that pretty much all calved on their own.. They are coming out small- 70-85 lbs- just squirt out-- but take right off...These are the first calves I've seen out of him so don't know how the heifers will turn out... My only worry is that he may throw a little too much frame into the cows when they mature....

Last year the heifers were bred to Lead On which was kind of a nightmare--calves weighing from 65 lbs to 105lbs...Very unpredictable- some pulls and a couple c-sections...

I don't think you will go wrong with breeding to Image Maker-- I watched part of the Hinman Angus (breeder- owner of the bull) sale on TV and the Image Maker sons sold quite well- most I saw sold in the $4000+ range with some going much higher- one was sold for $16,500 and another for $10,000...

Besides some of the Diamond D and Ohlde bulls, one of the ABS bulls that impress's me so far is Objective.....Seems to be quite moderate framed, proven calving ease, and I like the combination of Traveler 6807 and Rito bloodlines......

I have several Objective calves on the ground. BW 60-74. They aren't very thick right now but are the tallest calves out of any sire group. I will likely use his "Rito Revolution" son this year.

I haven't seen but a few calves sired by Objective and I am more than alittle concerned with the soundness and structure of them. Anyone out there experience this? Also thanks for the info on the Image Maker calves. I have some smaller framed heifers that could use a bit more frame.

When it's all said and done the Image Makers won't be big cattle. They do what cattle are supposed to do, grow like stink and level out at a year of age. They are moderate sized cows that have lots of body and rib cage. They have skulls and a look to them that really impress me as momma cows.

Latest posts