A good twin story

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefmaker

Reaction score
About noon today I noticed a cow starting to calve. Its about 10 days early by the calendar but the cow had a different idea. I went about feeding the cows at my other place and got back to check her in about 2 hours expecting to find a calf running around. No calf and no progress--cow up and down pushing hard. Went to get my son to help me get her moved to the head gate. I told him it was going to be twins and that the first one was a breech. We got her caught, I gloved up and checked her. First thing I feel is a tail--half of my prediction was true. I got the calf pushed back in a bit and after a nice amniotic fluid bath I fished out the back legs, got the chains on them, gentle pull and we had a nice live calf. We moved him out of the way. While this old fat guy was catching his breath I told my son it was decent sized calf but we better check the cow for the other half of my prediction. Sure enough!!!A pair of front feet right inside. As soon as I got the placenta ripped open--which was very tough-- the second slightly smaller calf slipped right out. When we moved the second calf over to its sibling the first calf was almost ready to stand. We let Momma go and she went right over to her calves and started cleaning them both up. Excellent!!!!!

Needless to say-- the subject of how the Old Man still knows a few things has been a topic of conversation the rest of the day around here. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: Thats really good news! There is nothing better than to
have living calves hit the ground-- especially two! :heart:

Latest posts