A few years in the works but its done

Help Support CattleToday:

hooknline":3nwfpi4d said:
skyhightree1":3nwfpi4d said:
Hook I like it and wish I had one... I thought about trying that with a shed and insulate the inside really well but I have too many projects unfinished to try it... I may be reaching out to you " brother " for some pointers and info if you don't mind lol I am impressed though really like it.
You'll need 4" of that blue insulating sheeting on all floors, ceilings and walls. 36-48 sq ft is ideal size and a 12000 btu will handle it well.

Jo, thanks again. I figured you'd like to see the final ( or close to it) product. :tiphat:

dow board (blue) will work but you will have 8 layers to get 4" - PolyISO comes in a variety of thickness up to 4" all real roofing supply stores (not hd or lowes) will carry ISO from 1" to 2.5 as standard stock. 2 layers of 2" will give you R24. It comes in 4x4 or 4x8 sheets it will run about 35 cent a sq ft you can figure your needs from there. the inside of the cooler can be lined with the vinyl sheeting for bathrooms sold at hd or lows and exterior lined with economy 3' wide metal.

hooknline":248i6is1 said:
There's an auction house near me that runs some through once in awhile. I gotta find some time to get there one day

look for and old country market that used to do some custom cutting or the old mom and pop grocery stores that are remolding. we bought ours back in 98 from and old closed meat market. its an antique with stainless table but the rest is white enamel 60's model.

highgrit":g8y6otel said:
You guys did a fine job setting that up. The only problem with hanging deer in a cooler is it will dry them out. Deer don't have the fat that a cow or hog has. Just hang the deer with the hide on and you won't have any problems with drying out and having to trim the black meat off. Hopefully you will be hanging some GA. whitetails in there this year.

In that humidity will they dry out without a condenser. My buddies cooler has no condenser and meat will mold in there because the himiodity is so high

According to the specs the unit will remove 3.5 pints of water an hour in a normal room.

Well then that should do it! I guess the only way to know is to turn on the switch and see what she does. One thing you will find is that the heavier you load it the less efficient that will be. If it was me I would hang those little Fla deer just long enuf to chill em real good and cut em up quick!

The heat load will be something to watch out for. It's been running since last night. When I woke up and went and check it was 33/34 in there. So I ran out to the hardware store and got the stripper pole....I mean full length hanging rod parts and got it installed

I was refering to the humidity load more than the heat load. I have seen em where the water was running down the walls when the condensers did not work right or there was just too much fresh stuff in there

3waycross":ubel8gi9 said:
I was refering to the humidity load more than the heat load. I have seen em where the water was running down the walls when the condensers did not work right or there was just too much fresh stuff in there
Gotcha. I'll keep an eye on that too

My brother in-law sold his walk-in freezer for $500.00 and it was nice, I think it was an 8x8x8 or some what close.. It was nice he gave like 1,000 cash for it used of course. But after he closed his restaurant he had a hard time selling it in our area and ended up getting 500 for it.

Very smart ideal though, glad it all worked out for you bub :)

Looks great! Nice job .... Thinking of doing some of my own home slaughter ..... But ...

Very nice Hook. Ex father-inlaw used to have a walk in cooler. Come deer season we would stack it full. It was so nice to shoot one and just chuck it in there. You could process it when time allowed and not be forced to mess with one.

Latest posts