A few Bull questions ???

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
What age does a bull starting loosening it's fertility.? Is the breed a factor of fertility longevity of a bull? Will a Brahman bull have longer fertility than other Breeds ? Is 8 years old too old to pay top dollar ( $4000 ) for a Top of the breed Brahman bull ?

I really don't think there is an absolute cut off age on a bull. If he passes his BSE and is sound in movement is the key. $4000 is not all that much if he truly is "top of the line." (Cheap in fact.) I think more bulls are culled because of soundness issues, over fertility issues. My friend just sold a very nice Angus bull at 7 yrs. for $4500. (Passed his BSE and soundness exam with flying colors.)
My :2cents:

I know Brahman cows can raise calves for close to twice as long as many other breeds. I assume the same is true for bulls, but not really sure.

Why pay that much for a older bull? If you use him 4 years,that will make him 12 yrs old.Very unlikely you'll get your half your money back? Lots of good younger Bulls out there for the same money. Use them 5 years and get all your money back. My opinion.

oscar p":y2yvceme said:
Why pay that much for a older bull? If you use him 4 years,that will make him 12 yrs old.Very unlikely you'll get your half your money back? Lots of good younger Bulls out there for the same money. Use them 5 years and get all your money back. My opinion.

X2

Rafter S":k4okygrg said:
I know Brahman cows can raise calves for close to twice as long as many other breeds. I assume the same is true for bulls, but not really sure.

They pretty much raise the same number of calves, it just takes them twice as long to have that many calves.

Latest posts