A decent pair of leather gloves

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I wish I knew, how many pair of leather work gloves I go through in a year. If it's available on the shelf in my town, then I've had them all. Carhart is the worst IMHO. Where can I get a pair of leather gloves, that will stand the test.

You can;t. I've found the cheapest ones last just as long as the expensive ones. I just buy them by the bundle at the local welding supply shop.

When I saw the title of your post, I was thinking Carhartt, but I have to agree in that I don't think that brand is quite what it used to be. Maybe some of the outdoor, sportsman type stores or catalogues might have something different.

I have found on line, where i can buy bundles of them fairly cheap. That might be the way to go, I'd just really like nice heavy, well stiched paier, that will hold up.

I've never been so excited. I thought you had found a decent pair of gloves.
It's not uncommon for me to go through a pair a day. Seems the most common problem is the stitching in the tip of the fingers fails. Any glove that does last, gives about the same dexterity as mittens.

Fwiw I think the first person that recommends mechanix gloves should be banned.... :hide:

These are pretty good
Double layer of leather across the palm, thumb and forefinger
I don't remember the brand but I'll check on it

callmefence":hkxw4kes said:
I've never been so excited. I thought you had found a decent pair of gloves.
It's not uncommon for me to go through a pair a day. Seems the most common problem is the stitching in the tip of the fingers fails. Any glove that does last, gives about the same dexterity as mittens.

Fwiw I think the first person that recommends mechanix gloves should be banned.... :hide:

I've had them fail in one day myself.

Cross-7":2t5k7u28 said:
These are pretty good
Double layer of leather across the palm, thumb and forefinger
I don't remember the brand but I'll check on it

That looks promising

dun":wv0edr00 said:
You can;t. I've found the cheapest ones last just as long as the expensive ones. I just buy them by the bundle at the local welding supply shop.
That's what I do as well. Just easier that way, and doesn't hurt as bad when I lose one, or two.
Not sure why someone doesn't make a glove using spectra/Kevlar stitching, like braided fishing line. The stitching is always the first thing to go for me.

Never wore out a pair because I've never had a pair I could get my hands in without tremendous stretching and straining so I just hardly ever put them on.

I buy the tan leather ones at harbor freight , they are cheap and last pretty good. However I don't wear them except when handling bard wire. If I fall down with gloves on I have to take them off to get up.

ga.prime":29hhfysc said:
Never wore out a pair because I've never had a pair I could get my hands in without tremendous stretching and straining so I just hardly ever put them on.

I buy the extra large gloves from tractor supply and have that issue too

Goatskin is supposed to be most durable, but im not totally convinced. Barbed wire trashes anything, and thats about the only time i wear gloves anymore. Wife dont like it if my hands arent rough, gets worried im becoming a metrosexual-got to keep momma happy.

Latest posts