A couple of ????'s

Help Support CattleToday:

Missy

Reaction score
Potty / poddy guts?
I have noticed recently some of my bottle fed calves are getting a little potty and i was wondering if there is anything that can be done or if it just happens with bottle fed calves?
They are covered over the ribs so it is not terribly noticeable,but just thought i would ask and see if anything can be done!

The milk replacer i am feeding is an all natural one. 20% protein and 16% fat.
The pelleted feed they get is 14% protein and 4% fat.
Is this ok?
They also get straw/hay and molasses

Missy,

We always give ours a bottle of milk followed by a bottle of water. I'm not sure on the scientific reasoning for it but it does seem to keep them from getting pot bellys.

The milk replacer is a little low on its fat percentage, which like the protein should be 20%. Is the milk replacer's protein come from soy or milk products? (You don't want a soy based milk replacer and if it is quit using it and buy an all milk protein replacer)

Like farmgirl, said use at least a 20-20-20 all milk replacer and a good calf starter ration ,I like to use 18% dairy calf starter ration..

Have free choice nice quality hay for them around 16% protein or higher and free choice water, they should do much better.

It is not soy, an all milk based product. this is the info(oopps seems it is 24% protein)
I am doing a search now for more feed info as the pellets i got are the only ones i can find in the area
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Quality blend of milk powders with high solubility when mixed with water.

PURPOSE
· Calf pab is designed to replace fresh milk in a calf's diet after colostrum feeding and through to weaning.

COMPOSITION
· Full cream milk, buttermilk, whey, skim milk, acidifier, protexin, high potency vitamins and trace mineral premix. (Products used are spray dried)

DIRECTIONS FOR USE
· Cool clean water must always be available.
TECHNICAL RELEVANCE
· Milk Based: Studies also show calves digest milk derived fats as used in many 'traditional' milk replacers.

· Comprehensive Vitamin and Mineral Premix: No expensive additives required.

· Calf Pab Contains Acidifiers: These naturally occurring, mild organic acids help manipulate gut acidity to prevent proliferation of scour causing bacteria.
NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS

PROTEIN % : 24.0

FAT % : 16.0
SPECIAL FEATURES

· Calf Pab is produced under strict quality control ensuring uniformity, palatability and solubility. Weston Animal Nutrition, one of Australia's largest stock feed manufacturers, is continually upgrading the quality of its products.

· This product contains all natural milk fats, it does not contain tallow

Hey Missy,

what brand milk are you using?

I prefer Palastart although it is more expensive than some I have found I get the best results. Friends have also used Veanavite (sp?) successfully. I found that you get poddy guts on the My Lamb Lamb and Kid and its calf equivalent.

I would also bump up the protein in the pellets to 18 to 20% and give them a good cereal or pasture hay.

hi Keren,
im using Calf Pab. I just found the Palastart info so im off to check it out
Thanks!

Will also check out other feeds. Do you know of any good ones suitable for feeding young calves, i can look them up?
Thanks

Missy, there is a whole range of calf feeds and the brand generally doesnt matter so much, its the protein level. I really wouldnt feed anything under 18%.

A few good ones are:

Coprice Premium Calf Pellets 18% (this is the one I use for an all purpose feed)
QAF Calf Mash (this is a grain meal type of feed - also very good) 20%
Veanavite No.1 Calf Pellets 22% protein - very expensive and I found not all that palatable, so I dont tend to use this
Barastoc Calf Rearer Pellets 20% - very good feed but expensive as Barastoc tends to be

If you really want to go all out, the ultimate calf feed is

Barastoc Calf Meal 20% (I think) this is a muesli type feed and oh so palatable, they go crazy on it. Its easy to get them started on it, they grow out well and it puts such a bloom on them, its incredible. BUT, its expensive!

novatech":1dgoaxhg said:
I have had some that got the pot belly. One of those is now one of my cows. They grow out of it.

It depends on the breed somewhat too. Some calves on a nurse cow can look a little doggied.

It is finally cooler and we can give them high protein feed here. That helps. Vet tells me it is not so much the high heat of the day but rather the high lows in the evenings that get cattle in trouble. They simply quit eating feed supplement if it is too hot.

What zone are you living in Missy?

Thanks Keren (going to check it out)

Novatech, thanks! Not to worried just thought i would see if much i could do :)

Backhoeboogie, i live in NSW Australia. We are coming into summer and our weather has been all over the place. Hot then cold,then freezing,then stinking hot! All in a matter of days! :idea:

Yes it is keren, stinking hot through the day with winds and storms of an arvo!

I just rang and got some prices. The Palastart is $1.80 extra a bag than the calf pab. It has 8% more protein and 5% more fat so im thinking this is definately they way to go. So will be getting some today.

I also am able to get the Barastoc Calf rearer pellets, so will get a bag and see how i go. They are 20% protein and 1.7% fat @ $19.90 a bag.
The ones i am using are riverina 14% protein and 4% fat @ $15.95 a bag. What would you use??

Trying to find someone in the area who stocks the Barastoc calf meal as it sounds great! i need them to eat!
:)

I strongly suggest you pay a bit more and use the Barastoc pellets, unless Riv has a calf feed with the same protein level. With Barastoc they are excellent but you are paying for the name.

When you introduce the palastart, do it SLOWLY - with the molasses in it, it is very rich. Mix some milk of each brand, and give them 3/4 Calf Pab and 1/4 Palastart for a couple days, then 1/2 and 1/2 for a couple days, then 3/4 Palastart and 1/4 Calf Pab, then full Palastart. Do the same with the pellets (unless they are not eating the Riv pellets anyway).

Thanks Keren, i bought the Barastoc pellets and am mixing all the feed in together until the Riv pellets run out then i will stick to the Barastoc.

Yes i have been mixing the calf pab with the Palastart. Very strong smelling stuff,completely different but they seem to love it!

One of the produce stores sells it for $86, the other $75 so i think i know where i will be buying it from :D

Thanks for your help

Oh im not sure if im game enought to taste it,smells very strong! :shock:

Can i ask why you start them off on DiVetelect?

DiVetelact is amazing stuff - I would use it for the entire feeding if it wasnt so dear. They grow like buggery and I have never had one scour on DiVetelact, ever. I tend to feed things (calves, lambs, kids) right from day 1 or 2, and a lot of the time they havent had colostrum. So my first feed is colostrum (generally real stuff from cow or goat that I have frozen, otherwise Impact powdered colostrum or otherwise an artificial colostrum recipe) then after that I feed DiVetelact for 4 to 6 days, depending on how strong the calf/kid/lamb is, then I change to Palastart.

Latest posts