A couple of feeding questions

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
One question is: Are you doing cows any good giving them a few pounds of feed just a couple times a week? They get average hay free choice and mineral.

The other question: What do most do on their replacement heifers? I have always just fed a little to them they the winter, maybe 4 pounds a piece along with hay and mineral. These are about 8-9 months old. I am always concerned about getting them fat but want them grow some.

I guess looking at how much I spent on feed this year has me second guessing what I am doing.

All my cows are spring calving they get fescue hay and mineral. The outside stored hay first will start barn hay in about a week. And good mineral with rumension in it.
All my weaned calfs are getting fed well. The steers and heifers not keeping leave on jan. 3. I will start backing the keepers feed down slowly. When grass comes no more grain.

I feed a good amount twice a week.
I'd love to feed more, but the cows seem to be doing ok. No ribs showing anyway.
Mineral and decent hay.
I'm sure they could eat more for sure.

In years past, I've not fed as much or any, and the cows were definitely suffering for it. I felt so bad that I didnt realize how much they had lost! Feeding twice a week seems to help a bunch here anyway. I want mine to hold their condition. That being said, it's much harder to put condition back on once they've lost it. Much easier to maintain it.

This is winter time feeding. No feed spring thru fall, cept enough to keep em coming in when I want em to.

Hope others chime in as well.

tom4018 said:
One question is: Are you doing cows any good giving them a few pounds of feed just a couple times a week? They get average hay free choice and mineral.

The other question: What do most do on their replacement heifers? I have always just fed a little to them they the winter, maybe 4 pounds a piece along with hay and mineral. These are about 8-9 months old. I am always concerned about getting them fat but want them grow some.

I guess looking at how much I spent on feed this year has me second guessing what I am doing.
tom, i have the same concern. i base the feeding on label recomendations, body condition, and their poop.

Maybe just me but I feel once you start a daily feeding regime, stick with it. I believe a big dose of protein every so often more or less just flushes the toilet and the rest of the time the gut has to try and digest lower quality feed without help.

If your hay is 10% protein or better and they have enough of it, mature cows will winter just fine while they are dry. Feed requirements increase by 40% the day the calf falls out.

gcreekrch said:
Maybe just me but I feel once you start a daily feeding regime, stick with it. I believe a big dose of protein every so often more or less just flushes the toilet and the rest of the time the gut has to try and digest lower quality feed without help.

If your hay is 10% protein or better and they have enough of it, mature cows will winter just fine while they are dry. Feed requirements increase by 40% the day the calf falls out.

I have never fed my mature cows daily. I have actually tried to do the twice a week feeding for years. Guess I am questioning myself after looking at this years numbers.

My replacement heifers I have done a daily feeding of small amounts in the past on them. Usually they are just getting a few pounds each.

Lower calf prices just have me looking for ways to save money. Maybe I should quit but need to do something with the farm. With some of the hay prices I am seeing maybe I should just do hay.

The heifers need to stay on their growth plan to reach the weight you want them at to breed and calve. To me this means they need to keep gaining about 1 1/2lb per day for the ones that you are raising. So yes they probably need some supplement at this time of year. I wouldn't worry about them getting fat at thier current age.

Mature cows on decent hay are okay even with calves on them. Doesn't hurt them a bit if they lose a little going into late winter unless you calve in late winter. They will easily put the weight back on during the spring flush.

I feed every day, or twice a day, but have too....

Would not worry about fat, just look at condition, they need to be heatly, not obese....

I am not sure if you could make them obese, it is a hell of a job hand feeding, I manage everything they get, I also feed some straw before rich feeds.

Raising cattle here makes no economic sense at all if you do not have rich and ample pasture, so it cannot make sense without a specific goal or reason.

Even if you own the land, not much good if nothing much is growing on it of value.

Rumen function should also be considered. Rather than feeding twice a week feed a little less on a daily basis. Try and keep their feed balanced and consistent as you possibly can...You don't want to mess with the rumen pH and microbes which must adapt to change each time. If you chop & change feed and routine the animal is set back.

Ok. So in my situation, say 18 mamas.
And some mid sized calves that bite a lil bit too.
I'm feeding 6 bags a week.
3 bags Wednesday
3 bags Sunday

Should I feed a bag a day and skip Sunday? Or perhaps 2 bags, 100 pounds, 3 times a week?
Wonder if that would actually be more beneficial?
I know it'd make my cows pests... lol

alisonb said:
Rumen function should also be considered. Rather than feeding twice a week feed a little less on a daily basis. Try and keep their feed balanced and consistent as you possibly can...You don't want to mess with the rumen pH and microbes which must adapt to change each time. If you chop & change feed and routine the animal is set back.

Sorry meant to quote in above post...

MurraysMutts - Your scenario is not exactly
a 'feedlot' but here is some good info on acidosis. It sounds extreme but it is important to know just how much an animal is affected by inconsistent/infrequent feeding.

I cannot make any suggestions regarding your feeding regime :D . You will know your position better ie. quality/quantity of grazing/hay. What's in the bag(cubes, corn?). It may not be covenient for you to feed every day...quite a few factors to consider.
You are not feeding them huge amounts so the disturbance should be minimal.

http://www.beefresearch.ca/research-topic.cfm/acidosis-63