A couple new heifers...

Help Support CattleToday:

They looks nice, tho a little leggy for me. But their Galloway genetic will kicks in soon when they're on grass and they won't be skinny.

djinwa":o8jydp9q said:
Hard to judge their build, not knowing how they've been fed.

I assume belted calves would be docked at the salebarn. One reason you may have gotten a good deal on these heifers.

Black cattle with long hair have more trouble with heat stress, a problem about which more are becoming aware.
http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2007 ... 1033.shtml

Otherwise, look good.
He didn't buy them at sale barn....and you are looking at calves with the winter hair which will be shed off soon when it starts to warm up. They won't have any heat stress as long as they have access to water and shade.

Dogs and Cows":uvrw1yh0 said:
For me, a lot of the enjoyment of the cattle is how they look and I really like the look of the belt. I realize they are pretty "fuzzy" but do you guys think they look good for 7 month old heifers? Thanks a million!!!

For being Angus x Belted heifers, I think they look okay.

You said you really like the belt. That's certainly your privilege, and I'm not criticizing it, but be prepared to accept that others may disagree, and you'll probably pay for it at the sale barn if it shows up in the next generation. I don't have any experience with the belted cattle, but I've been told by others that it's pretty hard to breed that color pattern out of them.

Rafter S":1xr5ygi0 said:
Dogs and Cows":1xr5ygi0 said:
For me, a lot of the enjoyment of the cattle is how they look and I really like the look of the belt. I realize they are pretty "fuzzy" but do you guys think they look good for 7 month old heifers? Thanks a million!!!

For being Angus x Belted heifers, I think they look okay.

You said you really like the belt. That's certainly your privilege, and I'm not criticizing it, but be prepared to accept that others may disagree, and you'll probably pay for it at the sale barn if it shows up in the next generation. I don't have any experience with the belted cattle, but I've been told by others that it's pretty hard to breed that color pattern out of them.
Not too hard to breed the belt out of the crossbreds. Beltie crosses do well at the sale barn than the straight belted galloway calves. I sold few belted galloway x Angus calves at the sale barn and never gotten a dock because they looks good.

They should grow into good mommas. As for the belts if you have ever come upon black cattle on the highway at night you quickly come of the opinion they should all have white belts!!!

Latest posts