$900 oil change

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
This morning I dropped my Ford F150 4x4 off at a Firestone place about a block from where I work, and asked for an oil change, and to have the tires rotated. About an hour later, I got a call and was told the hub was bad and needed to be replaced. When they pulled the hub off, the spline and shaft behind the hub was ripped tp shreds with metal shavings everywhere - this is when I quit taking phone calls and went to see for myself. So I went in for a $50 oil change and rotation, and came out $900 lighter. I hate 4 wheel drives! Sorry, had to vent.....

Did the hubs themselves get replaced or just the bearing assemblies? Bearing assem for my 3/4 ford are 420 a side including labor.
Hubs are about 500 each new but there isn't any labor on em of you do them yourself. They are super easy to do

hooknline":1rhbo0ij said:
Did the hubs themselves get replaced or just the bearing assemblies? Bearing assem for my 3/4 ford are 420 a side including labor.
Hubs are about 500 each new but there isn't any labor on em of you do them yourself. They are super easy to do

ditto... 900 IS A RIP OFF.. or maybe cause stuff out here is cheaper

Get a chilton manual and your parts 250.00 and 2 hours and save yourself alot of money... :banana: I have mastered the hub changes on my trucks to the point i can change a hub in 45 mins lol I have also found that if you dont change them both at the same time the other tends to wear out quickly after the other was changed.

though you might have needed them,,, firestone is the wrong place to go for routine maintenance... they would sell a eskimo a popsicle,everyone gets a little commission from sales

hooknline":3p83cr4e said:

The actual hub.

when I went to the shop to look at it (I had to see when they said $900), the actual back of the hub is toothed. There is a seperate spline that mates with it and travels toward the 4x4 gearbox. All of the teeth were almost completely gone; metal pieces everywhere on both parts. The truck is 6 years old with 90,000 miles. The small amount I actually use 4 wheel drive really doesn't necessitate a 4x4. There's always the tractor if I do get stuck. No more 4x4's for me!

You got rooked. Sorry but it's true. The hubs themselves are a piece of cake.
Firestone is ok for maintenance but never for repairs of any kind.

hooknline":2oduyw3n said:

Not the first time.... I can rebuild a classic mustang - did five - but know nothing about a 4x4, especially the newer vehicles. Well the 4 wheel drive works now at least. Firestone only came into the picture because it's a block from my work. I should have just brought it to my hometown guy once Firestone "diagnosed" it. Would have saved a few hundred bucks I'm sure.

cypressfarms":214vx27y said:
hooknline":214vx27y said:

Not the first time.... I can rebuild a classic mustang - did five - but know nothing about a 4x4, especially the newer vehicles. Well the 4 wheel drive works now at least. Firestone only came into the picture because it's a block from my work. I should have just brought it to my hometown guy once Firestone "diagnosed" it. Would have saved a few hundred bucks I'm sure.

So you knew the 4 wheel drive did not work before you dropped it off ?

Latest posts