84212 fixed knot fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Tonka

Reaction score
Hey guys . First time poster here ,but been reading a lot.
Looking at putting in a little over a mile of woven wire . I'm in red clay country in central Ky.
Fence will have cattle on one side and either road frontage or row crop on the other side.
I have no experience with fixed knot , but looks like the way to go. All the old fences around here were hinge joint.
Anyhow thinking about using 84212 , 5"x7' line post 2' in the ground on 20, centers with single H braces made with 8"x8' rounds 3' in ground on 10' centers.
Does this look like a good plan ?
If so how far can I go between H braces ?
What about wire brand ? Stay Tuf , Bekaert , Tornado ,etc. Is one any better than the rest ?

Tonka":2udpn6ek said:
Looking at putting in a little over a mile of woven wire . I'm in red clay country in central Ky.
Fence will have cattle on one side and either road frontage or row crop on the other side.
I have no experience with fixed knot , but looks like the way to go. All the old fences around here were hinge joint.
Anyhow thinking about using 84212 , 5"x7' line post 2' in the ground on 20, centers with single H braces made with 8"x8' rounds 3' in ground on 10' centers.
What about wire brand ? Stay Tuf , Bekaert , Tornado ,etc. Is one any better than the rest ?

Go a foot deeper on your corners and h braces. Line posts too if it were me.

how much is that fence? 42" isn't very tall.

you can get 660' 49" tall 12" stays graduated spacing beakart rolls for around 200 - 230 depending @ southern states.

Tonka":1ibgas1s said:

Tornado will give you the best bang for the buck. I agree with ball a foot deeper on everything. Farm will be coming south in a few days. I'd bet he can set you up with tornado. Also The guy quality checks every load of post he gets and sends them back if they don't meet his high standards.

https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/ ... a-660.aspx
Doesn't seem to be that great of a deal. We aren't interested in being the cheapest on the front end, but if we can supply a product that has the lowest long term cost of ownership, we've done our job well.

A couple of the independent SS stores have inquired about switching to Tornado. It seems we are starting to make a dent. You already know how I feel about Tornado, so I'll not waste the paper. Call Me Fence is a no BS kind of man, and a pretty hard sell. I left him with a roll of 949-12 and a roll of barbed wire last April, and now he has near 42,000 pounds of it in stock. I think that says quite a bit about our quality, especially with Stay Tuff and San Antonio Steel within cannon range of Fenceman's place. The same story has repeated it's self several times in the past couple of years. My two biggest local contracting competitors are all Tornado now. The wire speaks for it's self.......Especially so if you stretch a roll from the other guys along side of ours. To ice the cake, the people of Tornado actually care.
FWIW, I'd go with longer corner posts and wider braces. Local knowledge on the depth of line posts is relevant.

A couple pics of Fence and one of the founders of Tornado Wire, who started as a fencing contractor. Welcome to the forum, Tonka!

Deeper on the post for sure. As the pros pointed out, cheap wire doesn't save a thing.

8' post is about all we have around here. I don't see how 4' depth is going to work with 8' post . Would a double H brace 3' deep work better ?
1000' span is about the longest I have .

callmefence":umok41ob said:
Had 42000.
This little bit is headed west in the morning. :cowboy:

Looks like better fencing weather is headed your way. Want me to see if I can track down some of them New Zealand style Daisy Dukes for your crew?

Farm Fence Solutions":3q2173aj said:
callmefence":3q2173aj said:
Had 42000.
This little bit is headed west in the morning. :cowboy:

Looks like better fencing weather is headed your way. Want me to see if I can track down some of them New Zealand style Daisy Dukes for your crew?

We're on a exposed to the north slope.
13 degree wind chill. Setting posts so y'all can show us how it's done.
Your not real popular right now..I wouldn't push it... ;-)

Farm Fence Solutions":reu1wlln said:
https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/p-4037-bekaert-solidlock-cattle-fence-12ga-660.aspx
Doesn't seem to be that great of a deal. We aren't interested in being the cheapest on the front end, but if we can supply a product that has the lowest long term cost of ownership, we've done our job well.

A couple of the independent SS stores have inquired about switching to Tornado. It seems we are starting to make a dent. You already know how I feel about Tornado, so I'll not waste the paper. Call Me Fence is a no BS kind of man, and a pretty hard sell. I left him with a roll of 949-12 and a roll of barbed wire last April, and now he has near 42,000 pounds of it in stock. I think that says quite a bit about our quality, especially with Stay Tuff and San Antonio Steel within cannon range of Fenceman's place. The same story has repeated it's self several times in the past couple of years. My two biggest local contracting competitors are all Tornado now. The wire speaks for it's self.......Especially so if you stretch a roll from the other guys along side of ours. To ice the cake, the people of Tornado actually care.
FWIW, I'd go with longer corner posts and wider braces. Local knowledge on the depth of line posts is relevant.

A couple pics of Fence and one of the founders of Tornado Wire, who started as a fencing contractor. Welcome to the forum, Tonka!

its fixed knot class 3 HT. What would make it 'not that great'? Whats so good about the tornada wire, why should I switch to it?

ddd75":1uk1mmez said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1uk1mmez said:
https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/p-4037-bekaert-solidlock-cattle-fence-12ga-660.aspx

its fixed knot class 3 HT. What would make it 'not that great'? Whats so good about the tornada wire, why should I switch to it?

D I'm pretty sure your confused on the price or the roll size. Could you provide a link??

A little off-topic question, but do any of the manufacturers make something like a 949-3? Seen a picture of a fence that only had 9 horizontal wires but looked like a 3 inch box.

fence_it":37c9ems7 said:
A little off-topic question, but do any of the manufacturers make something like a 949-3? Seen a picture of a fence that only had 9 horizontal wires but looked like a 3 inch box.

We can make anything you want. Fixed knot machines will run stay spacings in 3" increments.

ddd75":277fi900 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":277fi900 said:

I'd be glad to get some Tornado in your hands for your next fencing project. I can brag on it all day long, but it's easier if you'll just give it a chance. Cost will be the first advantage, and longevity the second. I get pretty close to you on a regular basis, and I'd be more than happy to get some wire in your hands to have a go with.

Hey Farm I know you like the gripple's , but wondering if you have tried the FastLok's ?

Tonka":1cto2gjh said:
Hey Farm I know you like the gripple's , but wondering if you have tried the FastLok's ?

I have, and they work fine. I prefer Gripples, and the price and availability are better.

Farm Fence Solutions":vtnzska3 said:
ddd75":vtnzska3 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":vtnzska3 said:

I'd be glad to get some Tornado in your hands for your next fencing project. I can brag on it all day long, but it's easier if you'll just give it a chance. Cost will be the first advantage, and longevity the second. I get pretty close to you on a regular basis, and I'd be more than happy to get some wire in your hands to have a go with.

I'd love to try some. Whats the cost for 660' rolls of woven?

ddd75":2oswdp0h said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2oswdp0h said:
ddd75":2oswdp0h said:

I'll make sure it's a competitive price for you. How many rolls? 949-12?

Farm Fence Solutions":3m0dwiev said:
ddd75":3m0dwiev said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3m0dwiev said:

I'll make sure it's a competitive price for you. How many rolls? 949-12?
yea 9 / 49 / 12 would work great. I have 14 rolls of 660' beakart right now so I'm pretty set. But I could pick up a few rolls of that and maybe soe of those metal 20' fence panels from you sometime.

Latest posts