7.3 diesel F250 99

Help Support CattleToday:

Had a similar problem with a 97. Whole truck would shake. Shake so hard you could hear it. Turned out to be the instrument cluster. Sending bad speed/rpm info to the computer. $800.00 later and all was good.

Diagnostic was all good no problems-turned out to be a plugged fuel line,the strainer that screens dirt in the fuel tank blew off, so dirt got in the line and lugged it, they blew it out and said to just leave the strainer in-or if it does create a problem will have to take the tank out one day and get a part/clean it out-but for now, they are convinced this will fix it-so we will see, next load of hay that is hauled if it is fixed or not-
In other words we wasted some $$$, buying parts we didn't need, should have taken it in to begin with-

Funny, I was thinking fuel supply issue. Remember that may have taken your injector out..best to fix it right before it takes another or more out

well they want $725 to fix it, but I think we can do it ourselves for alot less, we will just have the part charge then, they want almost $300 just for labor-

well... we are back to square onw with what is wrong with this truck-Pulling a trailer and the truck started missing again, barely made it home, no power. Pulled the fuel tank thinking it was plugged, nothing, the screen in the tank was even still intact. So the problem Ford said it was, it isn't. Any other ideas? I'm open to anything, as we do need the truck and really have to get this figured out sooner than later now.

yes under a load, but once it started missing under the load, it just lost power almost to the point of just stopping, and it made a knocking noise as well.

When you pulled the tank did you check the fuel tube carefully for cracks? Does it happen at a certain point opn your fuel guage? I'm leaning to that, or a fuel pump on its way out..gets hot and can't push enough fuel to supply under load. Then you have air in your system, and that takes a bit to purge. But iy sounds like your sucking air into your fuel lines somewhere or starving for fuel. Fuel filter seated properly and oring nor pinched? That won't set codes

Had similar problem. One of the fuel lines from the fuel filter was cracked & leaking fuel under load.

Probably over tightened at factory & took awhile to leak.

well I went on a ford forum, and several people said it is probably this filter system in the tank, called the mixing valve, which has 2 separate filters inside, that have been notorious for plugging. This is one of the things we did not know what to do with, it had 2 snaps on the outside, and looked like it could be opened but we weren't sure, and were afraid to break it, but now it appears that this could be the problem, as these 2 guys said, and also the head mechanic at Ford said this part has been problems for many. So much so that after 2003 Ford no longer puts it in the tank. The guys on the site said that the part can be removed and a inline filter put on before the pump, so thats whats gonna be done, as that part can't be replaced by itself you have to buy the complete assembly which is $500.We will see this weekend-cross your fingers

Good luck GMN. This is one of those tough diagnostic deals. If that doesn't fix it, put a temp fuel pressure guage on your system and verify the low fuel pressure. You're starving for fuel for sure. Just a question of why...sucking air, restriction, or bad pump. But you're real close to getting it figured out

I tried to post a pic of what the mixing valve looked like,(couldn't figure out how to do it) it was unbelievable! Clogged to the max, even small pieces of hay in there and on the inside as well. The truck runs better than ever now, and the mixing valve was removed and a inline smaller fuel filter was put in right before the fuel pump. :banana: :banana:

Good deal. Hope this fixes it for ya for good. If it happens again, you'll need your tank cleaned

When such a thing takes place, the first thing that comes to our mind is whether to go for repair or replacement. Modern technologies have are being used now to repair engines, time and efforts are required on part of the vehicle owner.

Latest posts