6 speed manuals

Help Support CattleToday:

cowsense

Reaction score
The six speeds have been out for a while and I was wondering about reliability as well as durability? I've got a 96 Dodge- lost my 5 speed at 250,000 and am on my second rebuilt in the next 100,000 :mad: .I love my 12 valve cummins but may have to trade up to get a better tranny!

If you like the truck that much and would like to keep it, why not swap out your 5 speed for the new 6 speed. Haven't done it personally but my cousin works in a diesel truck shop and says its not that big of a deal. All of the parts are supposedly readily available.

pinz......you can swap but dimensions are different, have to lengthen and shorten the drive shafts (4wd) -seemed to be more hassle and expense than I wanted at the time.....besides I needed my truck out ASAP to haul cattle!!

The six speed is great! Have it on the '05 Dodge 1 ton. Takes some gettin' used to if you're driving a 5 speed now.

Cowsense, whats happening to your 5 speed? The fifth gear nut coming off? If so, get it rebuilt at a shop that knows how to fix the problem. Dodge issued a TSB on it many many moons ago, and transmission rebuilders (whether they be Dodge or otherwise) should know the fix.

As far as swapping, the NV5600 (6 speed) and NV4500 (5 speed) are rated for the exact same torque handling, and the 5 speed, in my experience, is every bit as tough as the 6 speed. The 5 speed clutch will actually hold a little more power. The only advantage to having the 6 speed is the closer gear ratios make it a hair nicer for towing. And the 6 speed, when mated with 3.55s (which you can't get on 03 and up trucks), allows 4th gear to be used almost exclusively in town, so it minimizes shifting. I always found I was rowing the 5 speed a little too much. Don't bother swapping to the G56 in the 04.5 and 05s. It needs a dual mass flywheel, and you'll start seeing those things coming apart, just like they did for Ford.

Rod

Diamond S; Lost my oil in the original tranny and the next one was a poor rebuild....my garage had trouble with their transfer cases and a tranny so we switched to a different company.So far so good.BTW I never had any trouble with 5th but tried to stay in 4th for real heavy towing (at least until I could get to blacktop).

I would like to see a smaller split between 3d and 4th for heavy hauling and that's where the 6 spd should shine!

cowsense":380dpdzw said:
I would like to see a smaller split between 3d and 4th for heavy hauling and that's where the 6 spd should shine!

Save yourself a bunch of money, and put in a $199 TST fuel plate. Make it a mild one, maybe 30-40HP. You won't miss the additional gear at all :)

Rod

Latest posts