5' bale in the garden

Help Support CattleToday:

skyeagle

Reaction score
Just put a 5' round bale of brome in the garden for the cattle to eat and to put organic matter
in the soil. Doe's any know the best ay to take care of the weeds later on.

skyeagle":2tmporkp said:
Just put a 5' round bale of brome in the garden for the cattle to eat and to put organic matter

I'd be a lot more worried about the uncomposted cow manure if I was you say......................e-coli'

Just make sure you till it under good to get the manure under, for the weeds I use the black fiber on the ground and works really well.
It also warms the ground quicker.

c farmer":3adlxbd3 said:
Just make sure you till it under good to get the manure under, for the weeds I use the black fiber on the ground and works really well.
It also warms the ground quicker.

NO IT DOES NOT> You might want to do some reading on the dangers of using FRESH manure. If he runs the cows in the garden until he is ready to plow it and then turns under the uncomposted manure the danger is still there. I am also pretty sure that laying there frozen does not kill the e-coli. Now if it was turned under for a few months I m pretty sure that would be at least safer but it still needs to be composted to be safe.

I have used fresh manure for years and never had a problem but maybe I am lucky.

c farmer":bad0puz6 said:
I have used fresh manure for years and never had a problem but maybe I am lucky.

Yes you certainly are. Keep in mind we are talking fresh sh-t here, not fresh milk. You might have a lot of resistance it doesn't make it a good idea.

skyeagle":30ki2oes said:

Put some seeds in their mineral and they'll plant your garden for you. :nod:

TexasBred":o094zlph said:
skyeagle":o094zlph said:

Put some seeds in their mineral and they'll plant your garden for you. :nod:

Hey, maybe if you throw some nails and such in there and, they can also poop a hoe, and knock down the weeds at the same time.

Hey, maybe if you throw some nails and such in there and, they can also poop a hoe, and knock down the weeds at the same time.[/quote]

you need hoe-steins for that to work :?

Quintonhall":24rn6ysy said:
Hey, maybe if you throw some nails and such in there and, they can also poop a hoe, and knock down the weeds at the same time.

you need hoe-steins for that to work :?[/quote]

:lol: :clap:

Compaction in Tennessee. This ground is hard too mutch clay. Been working on getting it
shape with every thing but the kitchen sink. Going too get as much manureas i can when
my corn is done at the end of july.

I use manures in the garden as well. I don't usually touch it. There is tetanus as well in horse manure, I don't know about cow manure. I also put hay down over the top. I don't think it really matters what hay as mulch is mulch and anything will do. In the desert they even use rocks, but of course they don't break down.

Lucerne (alfalfa) hay is supposed to be very good for the garden. But I just use the grassy round bales.

Latest posts