4H

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig Miller

Reaction score
I know with all the fine folks here some of you must volunteer with the 4h as club leaders. What clubs are you involved in and what clubs are you leaders of? I am leader of an archery club. I have signed up to get the training for rifle and shotgun clubs also so hopefully we will be doing that as well by christmas. There is a new one called western heritage starting this year and I will be trying to do that one also.

: Caldwell County Farm Bureau Board Member, Travis / Caldwell County Soil & Water Conservation Board member, South Central Texas Soil & Water conservation Secretary/ Treasurer, Caldwell County ESD Vice President, member Plum Creek Steering Committee ( over sees quality of the water of the creek)
Dues paying Member of Texas Independent Cattlemens Association. :cboy:

My husband & I are strong supporters of 4-H and we always receive hand-written thank you notes from the kids. 4-H teaches values, hard work, responsibility, team work, leadership . . . the list goes on.

I am on the board of CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates) and we have partnered with 4-H for fundraisers.

Craig Miller":3a4bgjl4 said:
I know with all the fine folks here some of you must volunteer with the 4h as club leaders. What clubs are you involved in and what clubs are you leaders of? I am leader of an archery club. I have signed up to get the training for rifle and shotgun clubs also so hopefully we will be doing that as well by christmas. There is a new one called western heritage starting this year and I will be trying to do that one also.
Sorry Craig, just never seemed to be able to work it in. Always supported them but for ages all I seemed to concentrate on was work. Finally broke that bad habit and have worked with scouts, coached Little League baseball but even that is history now. Still volunteer one day a week at VA hospital which is awfully rewarding. Got a tremendous respect for anyone that works with the youth of the world in any way.

I've enjoyed it. We started the archery last year and got third in state. I haven't had any trouble with any parents so far. My oldest is doing the chick chain right now. He's actually at the show right now. I'm in texas of course so not getting to see it. He was the only one in his age that showed up from our county. I think there were like 70 kids signed up. 3 showed up for the show.

Brute 23":24ofiv1g said:
We were involved in Shotgun for 10 years or so thru 4H. It burned my whole family out. The stupidity of the parents will wear you out. It got worse as the years went by. Can't imagine it now.
The parents and the leaders. In my area the only 4h club with any sense is the ox teamster club. Those kids and the leaders know what it's all about, and do some amazing things. All the others have been taken over by stupid ex-suburbanite mommies who think that all animals must treated like puppies and kitties. They don't know a thing about what they're doing, and if you try to teach them the facts they don't want to hear it, because it isn't all giggles and happiness. Their main concern is whether a breed or an individual animal is "friendly". I could go on and on, but the depths of their emotional retardation and ignorance are as profound as that of any city folks. I used to judge a few of the local 4h shows, and have donated a lot of birds to them. No more, I just can't stomach the ignorance. Every child gets a ribbon just for showing up. You can't tell one that he has a better animal than another. The kids who do work hard get no extra reward or recognition than those who don't do a thing except show up for the exciting fair. The leaders preach all of that BS about teaching responsibility, etc, but they practice exactly the opposite.

My children are encouraged to show in the open classes, against the real competition. Yes they get beat a lot especially when first starting out, but they learn some valuable lessons that the pathetic 4h leaders will never teach. When they have stuck with it my children have earned the respect and admiration of some of their adult competitors, who sometimes take them under their wing and teach them so much more than the poor 4h kids will ever be exposed to. My kids end up with the ribbons and the smiles too, eventually, and their victories are not hollow and meaningless. I can't even put into words how disgusted I am with many of the 4h leaders and their mentality.

Luca Brasi":94z7kc46 said:
Brute 23":94z7kc46 said:
We were involved in Shotgun for 10 years or so thru 4H. It burned my whole family out. The stupidity of the parents will wear you out. It got worse as the years went by. Can't imagine it now.
The parents and the leaders. In my area the only 4h club with any sense is the ox teamster club. Those kids and the leaders know what it's all about, and do some amazing things. All the others have been taken over by stupid ex-suburbanite mommies who think that all animals must treated like puppies and kitties. They don't know a thing about what they're doing, and if you try to teach them the facts they don't want to hear it, because it isn't all giggles and happiness. Their main concern is whether a breed or an individual animal is "friendly". I could go on and on, but the depths of their emotional retardation and ignorance are as profound as that of any city folks. I used to judge a few of the local 4h shows, and have donated a lot of birds to them. No more, I just can't stomach the ignorance. Every child gets a ribbon just for showing up. You can't tell one that he has a better animal than another. The kids who do work hard get no extra reward or recognition than those who don't do a thing except show up for the exciting fair. The leaders preach all of that BS about teaching responsibility, etc, but they practice exactly the opposite.

My children are encouraged to show in the open classes, against the real competition. Yes they get beat a lot especially when first starting out, but they learn some valuable lessons that the pathetic 4h leaders will never teach. When they have stuck with it my children have earned the respect and admiration of some of their adult competitors, who sometimes take them under their wing and teach them so much more than the poor 4h kids will ever be exposed to. My kids end up with the ribbons and the smiles too, eventually, and their victories are not hollow and meaningless. I can't even put into words how disgusted I am with many of the 4h leaders and their mentality.

Couldn't agree more, we moved on from 4H when I was a kid after some years of success because City Moms started complaining we won too much. I still support our local 4H and will encourage my kids to join in a few years but I feel 4H isn't the same as it was in the 90s. Too much of everyone needs to feel like a winner crap.

Latest posts