4H Results

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Well, we got through our first 4H show. We had a good time and our son did quite well with his steer for a first timer. Buddy behaved himself, and I have to say that all the animals were very well behaved, with the exception of 1 baby calf that was pretty darn unruly.

Anyways we got up to the fair on Friday morning, got the steer settled in, and then the kids had to set up the barn. They did a good job and it looked darn good. Friday night we had quite a storm. I've heard that the winds were as high as 130 Km/hour (about 70 miles/hour). Lots of lightning, and quite a few people evacuated to safer housing. Fortunately the campers all survived with no trouble, but there were quite a few casualties among the tents. Nobody was hurt though.

The steer show wasn't until Sunday, but I watched a good part of the heifer show on Saturday and our club did quite well with numerous kids going Grand and Reserve in their breed classes and with one of our girls winning Grand Champion Female, and of course Grand Champion First year futurity. On Sunday again we had a good day, with quite a few of our kids placing in their classes and several winning Grand or Reserve in their breed catagories. One of our members also won Reserve Champion over all. So a rather good weekend from the Club perspective.

Matthew placed 4th in the heavy weight Hereford class, so we were quite happy with that. He weighed in at 1320, and had put on 85 lbs since our achievement day on June 4. He was putting on 3.4 lbs/day. The sale also went well, and I think everyone was pretty pleased with how their steers sold. Although there were a number of kids that were not happy THAT their steer had to be sold. It is a pretty sad thing for a lot of the kids.

On a more trivial note, the biggest steer, a Gelbveih x Charolais, weighed in at 1745 lbs. Man was he big, and he wasn't quite finished. He was a pretty nicely built animal, but just too big for the judges to place him highly. On the other end of the spectrum (and there is a story here), the smallest yearling weighed in at 465 lbs. It was a Brahman x heifer that one of the final year kids had. Apparently this girl had always wanted to show a brahman and since it was her last year she decided that she was going to find one. I give her credit, as she went ahead and did it.

Here are a few pics

DSC03563-1.jpg

DSC03570.jpg

DSC03566-1.jpg

then how did he show in the hereford class??
also by the looks of the second photo he needs to hold the steer's head up. and he needs to hold the show stick about in the middle. but the calf looks like he put weight on really good

dont look like too bad of a cross to me. i like markings. he looks like he's havin fun. and the steer looks well behaved. thats always a plus. good job. :D

Moocow11":2937rt88 said:
also by the looks of the second photo he needs to hold the steer's head up. and he needs to hold the show stick about in the middle. but the calf looks like he put weight on really good

They are classed by the sire. He does need to work on his showmanship some more, but for the first year we were happy with him. He at least remembered to hold the steers head up some. Better than achievement day when the steer had his head on the ground ;-)

cattleluvr18":7wm2ud7b said:
dont look like too bad of a cross to me. i like markings. he looks like he's havin fun. and the steer looks well behaved. thats always a plus. good job. :D

Thanks. Yes, the steer was well behaved. But that is why we chose him. He was actually a lot better at the fair than at home.

randiliana":1am4es1i said:
Moocow11":1am4es1i said:

They are classed by the sire. He does need to work on his showmanship some more, but for the first year we were happy with him. He at least remembered to hold the steers head up some. Better than achievement day when the steer had his head on the ground ;-)

Congratulations to your son! Did he like the show enough to show one again? My daughter has the same problem with holding the head up when she shows.

Good job!! Just keep working with that head. If she gets reminded enough at home, pretty soon it will be come habit. Tie the calves heads up high. Start with 10 or 15 minutes and work up. We like to have ours up for 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours a day. That way the animal does some of the work.

randiliana":25yfa6kt said:
Moocow11":25yfa6kt said:
isnt that a hereford cross?? good job

Hereford x Shorthorn. Thanks.

The work is obvious. The kid is a grinning young man - up and coming - be deservedly proud.

Marvellous cross - almost always a gentle and high producing match.

A great day - you will all remember it for your entire lives - well done.

Bez>

L Weir":2v539bm3 said:
Congratulations to your son! Did he like the show enough to show one again? My daughter has the same problem with holding the head up when she shows.

Thanks, He did have fun, and he wants to go again next year. So does our daughter, and next year she can, with a baby calf.

Bez>":oj1kgiif said:
randiliana":oj1kgiif said:
Moocow11":oj1kgiif said:

The work is obvious. The kid is a grinning young man - up and coming - be deservedly proud.

Bez>

Why thank you, Bez.

I really do like that cross, and it is one that we use a fair amount.

He was having fun, and learning a lot. The weekend will be long remembered.

randiliana":wyz89241 said:
Bez>":wyz89241 said:
randiliana":wyz89241 said:
Moocow11":wyz89241 said:

Bez>

Why thank you, Bez.

I really do like that cross, and it is one that we use a fair amount.

He was having fun, and learning a lot. The weekend will be long remembered.

Hey - everyone knows I am a crotchety old SOB that will take a bite out of you in a heartbeat - but in this case - as in most cases - I meant every word I said.

Pics brought back personal memories and made me smile.

I miss the flat lands of Caronport country more than you will ever know.

You are so very welcome,

Bez>

Bez>":34l3por9 said:
Hey - everyone knows I am a crotchety old SOB that will take a bite out of you in a heartbeat - but in this case - as in most cases - I meant every word I said.

Pics brought back personal memories and made me smile.

I miss the flat lands of Caronport country more than you will ever know.

You are so very welcome,

Bez>

True enough, but most deserve what they get ;-) .

It is good to have good memories, and I am happy that those pics brought you a smile.

I know that Caronport country a bit, as we have pasture at Mortlach where we run most of our cows. It isn't quite as flat as Caronport there, but not much hillier.

good job he looks really nice im in 4H and i love it so dont quit 4H lol also he must be really excited cause at my first 4H show i got grandchapion steer and i was jumping and was so happy and them the next year it was grand champion heifer me and them grand champion continuation heifer but good job keep up the good work :D

Latest posts