4H Balancer Heifer Project Update.New Pics

Help Support CattleToday:

VCC":32iqxg1a said:
I like her depth and length, she has the feminine look to her and should make a good cow when her show days are over, with the right bull you can fill the few holes she has. Extend the neck, add a tick more bone and a little width and she would be tough to beet anywhere.
3way I know you hate the clubbies but if you hit her with I-80, or Dirty Hairy, for her first calf and then Hannibal, Grizzly, Willers Mitten Man or Mr. Clean for her second calf you would clean up that front end add a little bone, without giving up any maternal ability. All these bulls are clean of genetic defects and daughters make good cows and the steers will not be puds, you should get a well balanced calf, that will put on pounds and grow with the commercial steers.
It doesn't hurt to dabble on the dark side as long as you can still see the light.

Thank you for the good advice. I will look into those bulls. Since she gets to keep the first calf I will ask her what she wants to do.

3waycross":2kn6icvj said:
VCC":2kn6icvj said:
I like her depth and length, she has the feminine look to her and should make a good cow when her show days are over, with the right bull you can fill the few holes she has. Extend the neck, add a tick more bone and a little width and she would be tough to beet anywhere.
3way I know you hate the clubbies but if you hit her with I-80, or Dirty Hairy, for her first calf and then Hannibal, Grizzly, Willers Mitten Man or Mr. Clean for her second calf you would clean up that front end add a little bone, without giving up any maternal ability. All these bulls are clean of genetic defects and daughters make good cows and the steers will not be puds, you should get a well balanced calf, that will put on pounds and grow with the commercial steers.
It doesn't hurt to dabble on the dark side as long as you can still see the light.

Thank you for the good advice. I will look into those bulls. Since she gets to keep the first calf I will ask her what she wants to do.
Yeah Dirty Hairy, or another to add to the list is Tyson...hope to have calves from them in a couple weeks to a month.

Tyson is another good choice, I like the Dirty Hairy's, he has a some angus in him to help keep a balance of Continental and British in the heifer.

VCC":1zzrqwri said:
Tyson is another good choice, I like the Dirty Hairy's, he has a some angus in him to help keep a balance of Continental and British in the heifer.
That would probably be the best choice since you don't want to out cross to much

3waycross":10etscj4 said:
I forgot to post the one with the REAL mountains in the background. 14,000 ft Mt Princeton at the base are the Chalk Cliffs. I have 4 customers within a mile of the Chalk Cliffs with resorts, Christian Camps, or Hotels with Hot springs.

cows_march_11_2011_007.jpg

That's beautiful!

What's beautiful is this kid. She is an amazing worker. She texted me from her 4h gymkana today she took a first and 2 seconds on a rescue horse.

We are AI'ing the heifer this week to an Angus bull called Northern Improvement. He makes some real purty calves.

This is from her last show; We are going to send her and the heifer to the Gelbvieh Assn Junior National show in Kearney Neb the week of the 4th of July. She should make a good showing against her own kind but these are usually the top heifers in the country.

IMG_3928.JPG

3waycross":13m43wxy said:
What's beautiful is this kid. She is an amazing worker. She texted me from her 4h gymkana today she took a first and 2 seconds on a rescue horse.

We are AI'ing the heifer this week to an Angus bull called Northern Improvement. He makes some real purty calves.

This is from her last show; We are going to send her and the heifer to the Gelbvieh Assn Junior National show in Kearney Neb the week of the 4th of July. She should make a good showing against her own kind but these are usually the top heifers in the country.

IMG_3928.JPG

3way- she cleaned up really nicely!! And I do like the choice of Northern Improvement, he makes them fancy but still practical. Tell her Good Luck from all of us, and keep us posted!

Thank you! I will do that. I thought about some of the club calf sires that were suggested and didn't discount them for being Clubby but because I have used Northern Improvement before and he has proven calving ease and for sure makes showy/but practical calves. and his offspring PAP well.

What a heroic thing you're doing 3way. Mentoring is one of the most underappreciated acts we can perform for our fellow man.

BTW everyone, as beautiful as those pic's are, they don't do justice to the awesome beauty of that area.
It is truely one of the most incredable places on the planet. Mt. Princeton is only on of about a dozen amazing peaks within sight of where he is.

3way, you're farther north than I expected. How's it looking for runoff this year. June or July? :D

CottageFarm":6a7cgo34 said:
What a heroic thing you're doing 3way. Mentoring is one of the most underappreciated acts we can perform for our fellow man.
Nothing heroic about it. I have worked in a performance oriented world for the last 30 years, and one thing I have learned for sure is that when you have anyone that is a self starter and is willing to go that extra mile you need to support them as much as possible. That and the fact that I never had any girls of my own makes me very proud of her and want to make this a good experience for her. A lot of folks helped my boys along the way I am just paying it back so to speak.

BTW everyone, as beautiful as those pic's are, they don't do justice to the awesome beauty of that area.
It is truely one of the most incredable places on the planet. Mt. Princeton is only on of about a dozen amazing peaks within sight of where he is.
Shssssssh please don't tell anyone else about it. We are overun as it is. Nah I am just kidding, we are truly blessed to live where we do, with all it's shortcomings, it's still a very beautiful valley. Just not very practical to try to be in the cow business unless you inherit a place.

3way, you're farther north than I expected. How's it looking for runoff this year. June or July? :D

Pretty good. They are already moving a ton of water down the Arkansas river in anticipation of a big runoff. The real problem is we are very dry below 8000 feet.

Yeah, so are we..But nothing really new there.
I still love to see all that snow on the peaks though...
The weather makees me want to go fishing now though...Every year I wait for runoff to slow enough to break out the flies

CottageFarm":26it3w1r said:
Yeah, so are we..But nothing really new there.
I still love to see all that snow on the peaks though...
The weather makees me want to go fishing now though...Every year I wait for runoff to slow enough to break out the flies

My son manages the Fly Shop here and he says the Caddis hatch sucks this year. The water releases are killing the hatch because they are keeping the water temps too low.

sim.-ang.king":11pkvsfx said:
I was just looking threw the show board and found this, and was wondering if she calved and how it looks?

Yep April 30th. See my other thread Balancer Bull 90 days/452lbs

image001-21.jpg

First of all the scenery is beautiful. On the calf, I think with a really good haircut, you can see more of what you have. She might need a collar for the neck.

brenda":1kjtsvi4 said:
First of all the scenery is beautiful. On the calf, I think with a really good haircut, you can see more of what you have. She might need a collar for the neck.

Thanks Brenda but he is on test for the spring bull sale and her show career is over she is in the pasture rebred to his sire! I considered showing him at the NWSS but he is only 25% Gelbvieh and so better suited for a comercial herd.

LMAO, I just now seen your Signature about the Math.. :lol:

And nice pictures love seeing cattle :cboy:

Latest posts