4 Cows aborted

Help Support CattleToday:

Adam Freeman

Reaction score
I have a situation. Have 23 cows total that I bought at a sale in May. They were a mix of 2 and 3 year old heifers with a couple older ones thrown in that were a good price and looked really good. I bought 6 registered Angus Heifers in this May sale. All were checked at the sale barn and about 7 months along. Fast forward to end of July and 2 of them dropped nice calves a Bull and a Heifer within a few days of each other the others never had a calf. Fast forward again to Sept and had vet check all my cows to see if the new bull I got was doing good. Everything that was supposed to be bred back was including the 4 that had not dropped calves previously and he said they were 3-4 months along we discussed it and he said most likely they all aborted right after we got them. He also said he would have raised hell with the sale barn as well. My question is should I put them in the next bred cow sale or give them a chance. I wonder if the whole getting worked up for the sale and being ran through the barn then out to our place may have stressed them out and caused it. The vet who we trust very much and is highly respected in the area didn't think there was anything wrong with them but we didn't talk about any blood test. Thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated.

I have a situation. Have 23 cows total that I bought at a sale in May. They were a mix of 2 and 3 year old heifers with a couple older ones thrown in that were a good price and looked really good. I bought 6 registered Angus Heifers in this May sale. All were checked at the sale barn and about 7 months along. Fast forward to end of July and 2 of them dropped nice calves a Bull and a Heifer within a few days of each other the others never had a calf. Fast forward again to Sept and had vet check all my cows to see if the new bull I got was doing good. Everything that was supposed to be bred back was including the 4 that had not dropped calves previously and he said they were 3-4 months along we discussed it and he said most likely they all aborted right after we got them. He also said he would have raised hell with the sale barn as well. My question is should I put them in the next bred cow sale or give them a chance. I wonder if the whole getting worked up for the sale and being ran through the barn then out to our place may have stressed them out and caused it. The vet who we trust very much and is highly respected in the area didn't think there was anything wrong with them but we didn't talk about any blood test. Thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated.
I am going through something similar. Get them blood tested. Start with Neospora, Anaplasmosis, and Lepto.
If you decide to sell them send them to slaughter, don't inject them into some other unsuspecting producer.

Do you see those heifers often? If you see them regularly I would be surprised if you didn't see some evidence of abortion like membrane hanging from vulva or even an aborted foetus. I would be suspicious of the preg check they had. Heifers at that stage of pregnancy are a bit tougher than that to being moved.

Ken

If these aborted a couple months ago, your chances of finding the reason now are extremely low, abortion cases are very challenging to solve and it is simply not possible to diagnose the cause of most abortions this long after. A single blood test is likely to get you nowhere. Regardless, I agree that they were probably open when you bought them. If they are bred the way you like now, you can probably keep them if you want.

I was bouncing back and forth between Kansas and Wyoming due to work trying to outprocess from the military so i was gone when we think it happened. That is why i didn't see any signs of abortion. Although it wouldn't surprise me if they were open. The other 2 cows we bought with that group had theier calves very nice ones to boot. This is my first year and had to start somewhere. I can't do anything till December anyways due to wait time after there last round of vaccines so i can keep an eye on it.

Latest posts