300 lbs for 180 Dollars ????

Help Support CattleToday:

Ol' 243

Reaction score
This morning 400 lb'ers were bringing 187.00 and 700 lb'ers were bringing 119.00. How in the h*ll can you add 300 lbs to one for 180 dollars and come out?

M.Magis":1c2nes46 said:
Actually, isn't is $85?

Yes, technically, but I was doing the average on 4-450, and 7-750 for the entire stock report. It was about 180.00 across the average.

Ol' 243":3bt8clyk said:
This morning 400 lb'ers were bringing 187.00 and 700 lb'ers were bringing 119.00. How in the h*ll can you add 300 lbs to one for 180 dollars and come out?

This is why I try to trailer wean at around 480lbs.

I have a trailer load of 500 pound calves ready to go. I also am blessed with lots of good grass right now. I plan to haul the calves and come home with a trailer load of old beat up breds. I feel it's the best use of my grass.

I have a trailer load that was ready last nov but been holding off to see if prices rebound and they haven't really but made my mind up by 2nd week of may there out of here. I too will use the money to replace them with some breds

Ol' 243":2efwjv67 said:
M.Magis":2efwjv67 said:
Actually, isn't is $85?

Yes, technically, but I was doing the average on 4-450, and 7-750 for the entire stock report. It was about 180.00 across the average.

Buy 400 x 1.87 = 748
Sell 700 x 1.19 = 833

833-748 = 85.00

skyhightree1":3vqni9ok said:
Ol' 243":3vqni9ok said:

This is why I try to trailer wean at around 480lbs.
:). And get a jump on another set w same input

callmefence":k131a25t said:
I have a trailer load of 500 pound calves ready to go. I also am blessed with lots of good grass right now. I plan to haul the calves and come home with a trailer load of old beat up breds. I feel it's the best use of my grass.
You think there are some old beat up breds around here? I'm coming too but I don't have much expectations for a deal. We all got grass!

callmefence":32s4tklq said:
Why not buy some "rib eye scanned" best money can buy steers and sell em as such grass fed organic this fall to Austin? :) just saying...

Kingfisher":2xmoca2b said:
callmefence":2xmoca2b said:
You think there are some old beat up breds around here? I'm coming too but I don't have much expectations for a deal. We all got grass!

Maybe , maybe not . picked up 3 old beat up Pairs a few weeks ago. All under 1100.00 . already got a pretty good shine on em.

Kingfisher":2xmoca2b said:
callmefence":2xmoca2b said:
Why not buy some "rib eye scanned" best money can buy steers and sell em as such grass fed organic this fall to Austin? :) just saying...

I stay outta Austin.

Ol' 243":2idvrb75 said:
I make $85 out of that. And you can't.
However, if they were a kind worth having that would feed, I'd buy a big pile of yearlings weighing 700 costing $119, that's way under the money, at least here in the West.
I contracted some Dec. Fats yesterday for $2 over the board, and you can still feed a healthy yearling in off grass flesh for 75.
I can't believe that a yearling that cheap could feed that cost effectively or that you could buy enough at those levels to make it worth your while, but IF they did and you could, and you could lay them in a yard for $10/cwt. freight ticket (that's 1,200 miles with today's freight rates), they would net $175/head after a little deathloss and interest on the feed.
That's about $90-100/head more than I've been able to lock up on a 7 weight right now.

There was a guy over on ranchers asking basically the same question except he had 700 weight cattle selling in Valentine NE at $1.75 and wondering how those could possibly work at the feedyard. Now if a person bought those 400 weights for $1.87 and shipped them to the area getting $1.75 for 700 weight cattle that would work all day long.

I like the idea of the beat up Breds. Wish I knew what the market will do by fall. But, so does everyone else!

Around here, going by averages, 650 lb steers were $1404, 850 lb steers were $1402.

Now if anyone can make that pencil out, they deserve a medal

Stocker Steve":1f2liwrd said:
Nesikep":1f2liwrd said:
Around here, going by averages, 650 lb steers were $1404, 850 lb steers were $1402.

Now if anyone can make that pencil out, they deserve a medal

The profit is manure ! ;-)
I'm still looking for the cow that shyts twice as much as she eats... they only do that when they're on the trailer, not in the field!

Latest posts