300 lbs. calves -- I just can't keep them healthy!

Help Support CattleToday:

If someone already said this, I missed it. Are you adding baking soda? We have not had the problem you are having, but we add baking soda any time we're feeding grain -- any grain. ProBios is good stuff; am surprised that is not helping you much. Maybe that guy has food allergies that you can't compete with ?? Keep on trying, and good luck!

Calf died over night.
Maybe very early this morning (2-3 am?) I checked him at 9 pm.

14 days of battling the bloat!

Whatever it was, clearly, just wasn't going to get better. I gave him the best chance possible!
So, just so we are clear...
1-calf was on mid-quality grass hay
2-calf was provided a sweetlix bloat block
3-calf was given Therabloat 1 or 2 times per day
4-calf was relieved of bloat every 12-18 hours via stomach tube (or as needed)
5-calf was given probios paste daily
6-calf was given yogurt on 2 occassions
7-calf was given 2 gallons of rumen fluid from a healthy cow
8-at 4 pm yesterday calf had rumen function, a temperature of 102 degrees, and normal stool
9-calf died 5-6 hours after he was last checked.

Sometimes, you are just SOL. While it sucks because I lost the money and the work I put into him, if this was going to be his life until he grew out of it I could not baby sit him around the clock for as long as that might have taken. He was going to get a fistula tomorrow if the refaunation did not work. Apparently, he did not want one!

Kathie in Thorp":3bvhbdld said:
If someone already said this, I missed it. Are you adding baking soda? We have not had the problem you are having, but we add baking soda any time we're feeding grain -- any grain. ProBios is good stuff; am surprised that is not helping you much. Maybe that guy has food allergies that you can't compete with ?? Keep on trying, and good luck!

No, I was not giving him soda. However, I was not giving him any grain either. Just kind of dry prairie grass hay.

Ot of curiosity, did you happen to look at his liver or his leg joints? The persistant bloaters that we had had slight calcification of the joints and a badly damaged liver. Just curious is all

Dun, I did not post him. I could still I suppose as he has not been disposed of yet. Loaded up, but I did not have a chance to finish the job today.

Latest posts