3 Year Old Hereford Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I guess I am not getting it, but that bull seems to be too small. I appreciate his depth of rib and easy fleshing ability, but how big will his steer offspring be when fed out? Packers seem to want cattle that finish with a 700 to 800 lb carcass. That seems to be a frame 5 to 6 animal.

BC":1c69b4mb said:
I guess I am not getting it, but that bull seems to be too small. I appreciate his depth of rib and easy fleshing ability, but how big will his steer offspring be when fed out? Packers seem to want cattle that finish with a 700 to 800 lb carcass. That seems to be a frame 5 to 6 animal.
not arguing,, but do you need those few extra inchs to get that,,, to me it seems like 2 balloons one with a little longer string

BC":3h0nqjfb said:

The bull is just below a frame 4.
I like ALA's analogy.

Can anybody provide information on weaning weight, yearling weight and avg daily gain and ribeye area/100 lbs of body weight on this bull. He appears to be very easy fleshing which makes me suspect that there would be a good bit of trim on carcasses of his offspring.

I would like to see a picture of this bull at weaning. I feel like he would have been docked for being "short" at most of the sale barns that I go to.

BC":1ovvhpg0 said:
Can anybody provide information on weaning weight, yearling weight and avg daily gain and ribeye area/100 lbs of body weight on this bull. He appears to be very easy fleshing which makes me suspect that there would be a good bit of trim on carcasses of his offspring.

I would like to see a picture of this bull at weaning. I feel like he would have been docked for being "short" at most of the sale barns that I go to.

This bull should be used to gain easy fleshing correct daughters with some volume. He may b short but I think he is pleanty big enough.I also think it would depend on what type and frame size cows he was bred to if he would throw to short of calves.

Guess it depends on what you want.

JHH":7adk2rtz said:
BC":7adk2rtz said:

This bull should be used to gain easy fleshing correct daughters with some volume. He may b short but I think he is pleanty big enough.I also think it would depend on what type and frame size cows he was bred to if he would throw to short of calves.

Guess it depends on what you want.

This bull is a combination of two types of cattle. His dam was the kind bred to survive in arid West Texas and New Mexico while his linebred sire is a framier, yet efficient, bull whose lineage was developed in the high country of Colorado. When you cross linebred lines like that, I think predicting exactly what KIND of calves this bull will produce is still in question - and if they will be consistent. Once you see a crop or two of calves from him, you should be able to hang your hat on what he will actually produce. In a crossbreeding program, I'd BET that he's going to produce calves that wean a lot bigger than you'd expect by just looking at his frame score.

George

My Deewall bull was only a frame 5. So the breeding was not a true "fire and ice" type of mating. The Deewall bull's sire and dam were also very moderate.

jhambley":1s12kit9 said:
My Deewall bull was only a frame 5. So the breeding was not a true "fire and ice" type of mating. The Deewall bull's sire and dam were also very moderate.

Was Wally a Red11 son?

Yes, Wally was a Red 11 son.

red11large.jpg

jhambley":14a400tp said:

I guess "fire and ice" is dependent on what an individual's definition is. I believe that crossing two linebred lines with each other is nearly always a "fire and ice" mating in many ways. My point is - when you do that - you don't have a real compass about how an individual will reproduce - until you see the proof in the progeny. That's what makes breeding cattle so interesting!

George

KNERSIE":1ia0ehhr said:
I'd be very happy if he breeds in either direction or anywhere inbetween!

The right way to choose the parents to make a breeding bull from is when it does not matter if the calves take after granddam or grandsire the most!

KNERSIE":i3js5flx said:
I'd be very happy if he breeds in either direction or anywhere inbetween!

I guess I will find out how he breeds. picking him up later this morning. Had to put a clutch in a truck so I am up late.

It will be interesting to see the calves. I am hoping for some good muscle expression and just all around good calves.

Latest posts